Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions re Variable Speed in a ROS

Your Opinions re Variable Speed in a ROS

My 5" Makita VS ROS just died. It slowed right down to a crawl and then smoke started coming out.

To replace it, the single-speed Makita ROS is $89. Their twin-handle VS ROS is $139 (Canadian dollars, I might add).

My question is who here has a VS ROS and how useful is the VS capability?

In the 18 years I owned it, I never changed the speed from the top setting. But I only used it on wood and MDF. I keep thinking the VS might come in handy on other types of materials. But the biggest issue that's got my head turned is that the specs suggest the VS unit has significantly less vibration than their single-speed unit.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with Makita so I'm not looking at other brands.

I'd appreciate your thoughts re VS vs single-speed in a ROS.

Thanks.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Howard

I have a Bosch variable speed ROS. I rarely change the speed. But I should add that I do not use it much. I tend to remove stock with hand planes and when I sand I usually do it by hand. Get the single speed. There will be less to go wrong. On the other hand, if you amortize the $50 difference over the next 18 years (or so) why not go for the VS?

Doug

I find VS useful for operations where I need to sneak up on line or when over sanding is highly likely. Things like critical scribes or stripping veneered plywood. Of course, hand sanding would also work for these situations.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I could easily live without it. My sanders stay at full speed.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have three VS ROSs. The two I use the most are both pneumatic: a little 3" palm sander and an even smaller Grex pistol type I use with 2" and 1" disks. I use these mostly on woodturnings. I make good use of the variable speed since it allows me to sand very gently. I most often sand at nearly the slowest they will go, actually sort of a lazy man's hand sanding. However, when sanding flat wood with the 5" electric sander I nearly always use it wide open. I think I'd be happy with a single speed sander there.

JKJ

For the price difference I would buy a SCR variable speed control and use that. I have one PC 303 which is vs. I use it one notch below top speed since it howls a little less but still sands fast enough.
    Bill

I have three 5" random orbital sanders. Two of them have variable speed and I use those two the most. I find that when sanding small parts, a slower speed works better for me. Also , when I am sanding the sealing coat of shellac, if I run the sander at full speed it loads up the sand paper very quickly so I slow it down and it reduces the loading of shellac on my 180 grit paper a lot.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I love variable speed and no longer buy tools that don't have it built in. Someone mentioned using an add-on control. Keep in mind if the tool has a soft start circuit those speed control boxes will not work with them.

Robert

I have found VS very useful for sanding finishes and thin veneers.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you've never needed it so for you I would say it is not necessary. There is a speed/grit/material match that will allow smoother operation. I pretty much make this adjustment on the fly and without even thinking about it so for me, VS is a must. You can always lay into the sander and muscle it but, I'm from the camp that let's the sanders weight do the work. Minimal hand fatigue and less effort. Either method works but, I have never worn out a pad. A lot of a tool's feature value will depend on that feature's value to you. If you don't need it, it is of little value.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In every sander I own aside from My Festool Rotex I've always left it on the highest setting. Just my experience, all my sanders have variable speed, but never needed it.

When sanding veneered edges or when sanding final grits and also sanding over rounded edges it is much easier to get a consistent edge with a slower speed. Just my $.02

Jim

"There is a speed/grit/material match that will allow smoother operation. I pretty much make this adjustment on the fly and without even thinking about it so for me, VS is a must."

+1 to Glen's comments. I think many people never waiver from the highest speed setting. If your standard practice is to sand between 100 and 220 grit, flat surfaces, then I'd say VS is less of a necessity.

However, if you polish or rub out (say, using Abralon pads), or use lower grits (36-80), or sand contours with a softer pad, or refine edges, then slower speeds can work more efficiently, last longer, and offer more control. This is not true in all cases with all woods and all media; like Glen, I make this choice dynamically.

I have a fleet of Festool sanders all of which (I believe) have variable speed. I have never used it on any ROS. I have used it one time on the little Delta sander. I may be in the minority but it's just not a feature I care about and wouldn't pay extra for. I keep them on high btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hedges View Post
    I have found VS very useful for sanding finishes and thin veneers.
    I use a slower sanding speed in the same circumstances.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.