Thread: Exposed gas line in kitchen

Exposed gas line in kitchen

In a house where the kitchen counters have a u-shaped arragnement, the gas oven/stove is on an arm of the u that runs away form the wall. The gas line to the oven runs from the wall to the stove under the overhang of the back of the counter, which is a wider than usual overhang, it's like a shelf, but not wide enough to be a bar top.

I assume this arrangement is within code, but if the counters are ever replaced then what options are there for dealing with the gas line in a different way?

The floor is a concrete slab, so re-routing the line through the floor would involve some work. Moving the stove to the wall would mean having to re-do the vent hood arrangement for the stove and removing some cabinets that are in the way.

I would expect the gas line to be chased into the floor in my jurisdiction. It could also run through the kicker space however, depending on your regulations. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    I would expect the gas line to be chased into the floor in my jurisdiction. It could also run through the kicker space however, depending on your regulations. Cheers
    +1

It sounds like the place is a handyman special. The other alternative (not one I am crazy about) is that the gas line could run through the cabinets.

I think the pipe should be black steel with a shut-off valve, no soft copper tubing exposed to physical risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    I think the pipe should be black steel with a shut-off valve, no soft copper tubing exposed to physical risk.
    It is a black steel pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    It is a black steel pipe.
    Millions and millions of applications like this. To run through cabinets, line would have to be installed as cabinets were. (P-1 plumbing licensee for over 20 years.)