Thread: Choose my bandsaw

Question Choose my bandsaw

Greetings. New to the forum and thought I would start off the relationship with a question about bandsaws.

I am in the market for a good sized saw. Mostly for resawing. Purchased land a year ago and have lots of lumber to work on.

Thinking of something in the range of the Grizzly G0531. Obvioiusly I want the most bang for my buck so I would like input from others on their recommendations. When looking in this range ($1500-$2000) what is the word on the street? I've been out of the loop for the last year and don't know if there have been new reviews, models, etc.

Need the capacity to cut at least 12" thick. Also, motor recommendations would be helpful. Obviously 220v but not sure the advantages of single or three phase.

So basically, I'm blindly walking thru the maze and need some hand holding.

Thanks in advance.

Jim,

Welcome to SMC.....good people here!

Have you considered a portable Band Saw MIll??? I'd go this route if your considering harvesting your own green lumber....

But - of course - you will need a good Band Saw also

Welcome! Yours is probably the most common question on internet woodworking forums. Dig through the archives, and of course be aware that there's a good bit of questionable "Internet wisdom" on this topic. Also, some brands such as Minimax have a near-religious following (note to MiniMax owners: don't shoot! I'm now convinced that the MM is far superior to all other machines! )

My thoughts on your questions:
    • Unless you live in an industrial area or have 3 phase already, 3 phase isn't a viable option for a new machine.
    • Resaw gets excessive consideration by many new buyers compared to actual use of the machine, but you have to have it.
    • Even chunks of 12" green logs weigh a lot, so if you expect to process such things you need a big well-supported table and a heavy (or weighted) machine.
    • In general I've found a big table to be a plus.
    • I use a fence a lot, so if the machine comes with a good one, that's a plus.
    • I use the tilt a lot too, but your mileage may vary.
    • I like a foot brake, though I could live without it. It's definitely safer.
    • If you're getting a big saw, you want thermal overload protection at the machine. Some machines come with it, some you'd have to add it. Don't let anyone tell you that the circuit breaker is a decent substitute.
    • Horsepower ratings on modern machines are inconsistently measured and often optimistic. Comparing amps may help, but a separate search on electric motor horsepower will be educational.
    • There are lots of poorly constructed machines out there, so get your hands on the machine and check out the construction firsthand.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 10-25-2006 at 7:48 PM.

I tried to get by on the cheap, with a 14 inch bandsaw with riser block. Cuts curves well, but I was not happy with resawing.

I finally sprang for a MiniMax saw... huge difference for resawing, especially dry wood with a carbide blade. The carbide blade alone costs what my 14 inch bandsaw is now worth, so I kept the 14 inch for curve work, so I don't have to take the carbide blade off the big one.

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm the kind of person who likes to plan for the future so I want to at least get a machine which will have the potential to tackle most of the challenges I may encounter.

I should mention I have a smaller bandsaw which works well for less demanding jobs. And I did consider a portable mill but I have a local guy who is reasonable at milling lumber down to a more managable size. I just don't want to have to call this guy every time I need something resawn... thus my quest for a capable machine.

Have worked with the MiniMax in the past and it certainly was impressive. I haven't had any encounters with the larger Grizzly products, thus prompting my question.

Thanks again for the input thus far... I really appreciate it.

You asked about most bang for buck. Grizzly usually wins hands-down in those comparisons. They have many of their larger tools in professional shops. And they stand behind their products. Do consider carefully.