I'm coming into this thread quite late. I find it another example of how many opinions there are, and that there is no one "right" answer. There are just too many exceptions to a "rule". For example:

Plane weight only becomes an issue if you are wielding it all day long ... and even then it depends on the work you are doing. For example, there is a big difference between a jointer and a smoother in size and weight. But how much time goes into using each? This may be a factor for someone who is working at it full time, but for weekend warriors ... really?!

The planes that are more of an issue are the jacks and the scrubs, if you are working with rough boards to flatten them before using a jointer. How many here actually spend all day long with a jack in one hand? I certainly do not. I use machines for a lot of early preparation, and while I still do a fair bit of dimensioning with handplanes, it is not to the extent that I refer to myself as a Neanderthal.

I use jointers and smoothers mostly. How much jointing does one do that the weight of the plane becomes so critical? Smoothing is a final step, not a phase of preparation. On weekends I can be in the shop for 16+ hours. I still could not say that more than 2 hours is given over to a jointer. The same may be said of a smoother. I use other time sawing, sharpening, marking, measuring, scraping, thinking, etc. The mental image of a feverish demon with a plane in the hands working up a sweat ... just is not true. I get through a lot of work (the recent Sofa Table took 3 weekends) and I am not breathing hard.

Here's a question about planes: which jointer and which smoother would you choose when you make that final shaving, and to do so without a test shaving? A do-or-die situation (not that I would recommend this)? Which do you trust to do the job? I include here planing without concern for chatter or tearout, and irrespective of grain direction (after all, planing book-matched panels has the grain going in opposite directions).

I get excellent results from planes that are BD, BU, heavy, and light. I would state that the absolute trust first goes to a BU smoother. I would have no hesitation with a Veritas BU Smoother. I would also trust a HNT Gordon BD smoother (with the iron set on a glass setting plate!). Both are high angle planes. I would rather use a double iron smoother, whether Stanley #3, LN #3 or a Veritas Custom #4, since I achieve superb results with these, however they all need a test cut to ensure that they are set up perfectly (most of the time they are close to perfect, but just not quite there).

I could take a few shavings with a Marcou BU smoother - which is the best smoother I have used ever. This one weighs in at 1oz under 8lbs! Would I like to use it all day? Absolutely not (I am not Popeye). But, as I pointed out earlier, a few swipes are generally all that are needed, and this plane is simply amazing - high cutting angle and it leaves a shine in its wake. Why don't I use it more often? Eh .. I prefer sharpening for BD.

Regards from Perth

Derek