Thread: Powermatic Jointer

Powermatic Jointer

Hello,
    I am looking for insight into a Powermatic Model 60 Jointer. The serial number is #1-4953. My limited research puts this in the 1960's era. It is an 8" in excellent condition. I am in the market for an 8" and had not anticipated looking at one this old. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of this vintage?
    Thanks,
    Jack
    Last edited by jack dempsey; 07-10-2017 at 2:20 PM.

Powermatic made a model 60 but I'm not sure about Delta. Do you have a pic?

My model 60 was purchased in excellent condition, with mobile base, for $700. It is gold with green stripe, which I believe places it in the '80's. Quiet, vibration-free, a wonderful machine.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Does it have jackscrews to adjust the knives?
    You will probably want to clean and dry lube the dovetail slides. Not much to go wrong as long as the table dovetails and gibs did not get broken off. Do not lift by the tables or they may break off the dovetails.
    If you buy it remove the belt and see if both motor and cutterhead spin freely or may need bearings replaced.
    Bill

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?69086-Is-this-older-Powermatic-60-8-inch-jointer-a-good-one

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/4938.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-10-2017 at 3:50 PM.

Bill,
    Thanks for all of the information. I will keep these things in mind when I look at the machine. I am ready for an 8" jointer and I believe they are out there in good condition I will need to continue looking.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Thanks for the information. As I said this one appears to be the 1960's vintage. I will need to look it over.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a picture but have not found a way to post. I will continue to try to post a picture.

I have one that I bought used for $800 about three years ago (gold with green stripe). It was really taken care of and in almost perfect condition (as was all of the gentleman's tools that was selling it). I had the knives sharpened, replaced bearings at the cutterhead and in motor due to the age. It runs and cuts perfect. I am very happy with it. Great machine. Randy

Powermatic Jointer

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking for insight into a Powermatic Model 60 Jointer. ... Does anyone have knowledge/experience of this vintage?
    Thanks,
    Jack
    The PM 60 Jointer is excellent. I have had mine for about 40 years and it's still working well. This picture was made a week ago after squaring the edges of the pile of lumber shown. Mine has a 120v. motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the day before I was to see the machine it sold. I will continue to look but the information I have reviewed here will be helpful. Jack

Blog Entries
    Sorry to here you missed it, I have a 60 also. Green with white stripes like David's. Mine is wired 220 and has been a work hoarse for me for the last 6 or 7 years. I would say it has seen normal use over its life, not mint but not abused either.
    I paid $400 which I feel was a crazy deal.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork