I'm ready to move forward on this outdoor project. It will have a goldfish pond with walls of railroad ties about 30" deep. On one corner I plan to build a waterfall/fountain. The face of the fall will be 52" across at the base, sloping back at about a 60 deg angle until it is 20" across at the top and 48" tall.

I plan to use wooden blocks 2" x 2" x 6" long, laid on the 6"face so the face of the fountain will show end grain. So about 26 blocks across the bottom up to 10 blocks across at the top. Blocks will be staggered in and out and each row will be off set so the joints do not line up. A water tray at the top and at least 1 other tray somewhere on the face. Led lights will complete the look.

I can source 8/4 red cedar or cypress for the blocks. I think I understand that either has about the same tolerance to the water, except the sap wood on the cedar may not be the same as heart wood. I also am concerned if either will change color unevenly as they age, specifically on the edges that will probably not have any/much water flowing over them.

I'm pretty much locked into the idea and if it doesn't last forever, it will be a fun project just the same, but I would appreciate any thoughts on which wood may be best.

Thanks,
Perry