Thread: How similar is Sapele to Mahogany?

Question How similar is Sapele to Mahogany?

Got a request for a couple of mahogany frames so I headed 20 miles to Woodcraft only to find out their African mahogany was sold out. I wasn't about to pay $24 bdft for Cuban mahogany, but the Sapele looked pretty similar to some mahogany I recently worked with. How similar are these woods?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

When I looked them both up this is what I found.

Product Descriptions: Sapele

(Entandrophragma cylindricum)
    Color: Dark red brown.

The Tree: May reach a height of 150-200 feet; bole straight and cylindrical, clear to 100 feet; trunk diameters to 6' over broad, low buttresses, sometimes not buttressed.

The Wood: Texture rather fine; grain interlocked, sometimes wavy. Lustrous. Works fairly well.

Typical Uses: Fine furniture, cabinet work.

Source Region: Ivory Coast and Nigeria

Product Descriptions: Genuine Mahogany

(Swietenia macrophylla)
    Color: Yellowish brown to reddish brown.

The Tree: The pride of South America, this tree grows to over 150 feet with trunk diameter over 72" above large buttresses.

The Wood: Ranks among the finest cabinet woods. Exceptionally stable and clear with a natural luster. Moderately coarse texture. Requires filling to achieve a class smooth surface but accepts virtually all finishes with ease.

Typical Uses: Furniture, cabinets, interiors, boat building, pattern making.

Source Region: Central and Tropical South America

Hope it helps

Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:21 PM.

Scott, Sapele is African Mahagony, I go through a pile of Sapele especially for trays as the gold glitter is really something in the sun.

This is probably the easiest wood I have come across to work with and perform jointery in.

Andy

PS: I should have included it's just one of many African Mahagony's, when I worked in Africa, I must have seen at least 20 different types, the major difference was the colors.

Thanks Andy. That's good to hear since I bought some!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott,
    It does not have the stability of genuine mahogany and should not be used outdoors
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Sapele is a very beautiful type of mahogany which we used to use on commercial cabinetry when Honduras supplies got inconsistant. It has a pronounced ribbon-stripe characteristic like Honduras, only not quite as wavy. Gorgeous color, depth and grain, I'd use whenever I can find a good supply.

Sapele

Hi Scott,
    I used Sapele to make a Stickley style recliner and ottoman and found it great to work with. Easy to machine and hand instrument as well. I used a teak oil rubbed finish and ended with a deep red/brown color that is warm and rich looking. I'm sure you will enjoy working with it. Good luck, John.

For hand tools the Cuban & Hondurain mahogany are hand downs the easier to use. But they both machine well. Remember... There was a reason that they imported droves of mahogany into the US way back when. Not just because it looked nice, but because it is very easy to work with hand tools.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin