Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen making the bronze 4 1/2 again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Lie-Nielsen making the bronze 4 1/2 again.

I guess that guy trying to sell the "twin" 4 1/2 bronze won't be happy about this. Still too rich for my blood at $750. So when did this happen? I would have expected a press release and some email blasts. I didn't see anything.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/no4-12-bronze

Curious that it goes for a little more than double the cost of a bronze number 4. Must be a limited production run

I think I paid $600 ($500?) for my Anniversary #4 1/2 ... 10 years ago? It is signed by TLN and has Cocobolo woodwork. The lever cap is inscribed, and it came with a numbered certificate (500 were made). It also came with a 50 degree frog (too low to do any good), which I replaced with a 55 degree frog (still too low and too hard to push). Now it has a 45 degree frog and works very well with the chipbreaker. The LN A2 blade was replaced by a Veritas PM-V11. Otherwise it is original Very nice plane for wider panels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edit: the price was $450 all those years ago
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 07-12-2017 at 1:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    At $500 I would bite and sell my iron 4 1/2, but at $750 I'm out. It does say it's a limited run, but I didn't see that it was a numbered limited run, so I guess it's limited to whenever they decide to stop making it. (?)

Wow, too rich for my blood. I have two Stanley Bailey 4 1/2 planes and they work fine for me.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-12-2017 at 3:31 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nope. I'll stick with my Iron version.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The LN A2 blade was replaced by a Veritas PM-V11.
    Which "family" of Veritas blade did you use in that L-N? Is it the "Stanley replacement" or the one for the old non-custom 4-1/2? I suspect latter would make more sense as the Stanley replacement irons are a bit thin for an L-N plane...

Blog Entries
    I should clarify my above comments- my reason for wanting bronze is 80% due to it not rusting, and 20% due to the weight- I like a heavy smoother. I care 0% about collectibility or bling. Okay- I do kind of like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I should clarify my above comments- my reason for wanting bronze is 80% due to it not rusting, and 20% due to the weight- I like a heavy smoother. I care 0% about collectibility or bling. Okay- I do kind of like the look.
    These are the reasons I'd want one too, and was willing to pay a premium for bronze when I bought my 4 1/2. It's a 16% upcharge for bronze on #4. It wasn't available in bronze at the time though. The 231% upcharge they are asking now isn't reasonable at all. I don't care who signs the thing.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I was planning on eventually getting one LN plane. I'm well stocked for Veritas BU/BD & Custom planes and don't expect the LN would give me anything these planes don't but I wanted one just for the heck of it. I wanted a 4 1/2, but the bronze aesthetic was pushing me towards the 4, so I was hoping they'd offer a bronze 4 1/2. At that price I no longer want a bronze 4 1/2, lol.

A bronze 4-1/2, but no iron 5-1/4? Mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    A bronze 4-1/2, but no iron 5-1/4? Mmm...
    The last I heard you could still special-order the iron 5-1/4.

Happy with the two I have in the shop..
    jointer.jpg
    Except that they are both over 70 years old....and doing just fine....Millers Falls No.11, type 2.....the other is a Type 1

Special order is usually Tom waiting to get enough orders in for the order to go to the foundry...never been good about waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I think I paid $600 ($500?) for my Anniversary #4 1/2 ... 10 years ago? It is signed by TLN and has Cocobolo woodwork. The lever cap is inscribed, and it came with a numbered certificate (500 were made). It also came with a 50 degree frog (too low to do any good), which I replaced with a 55 degree frog (still too low and too hard to push). Now it has a 45 degree frog and works very well with the chipbreaker. The LN A2 blade was replaced by a Veritas PM-V11. Otherwise it is original Very nice plane for wider panels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edit: the price was $450 all those years ago
    Derek, which of the pm-v11 blades did you buy? I wasn't aware LV stocked blades that would fit the LN bench planes.