Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you added extra dust collection ports to your bandsaw?

Have you added extra dust collection ports to your bandsaw?

I've got a Laguna 14/12(honestly, I liked my grizzly go555lx better)(not sure why I needed to voice that... weird...) and as any of you who have this saw would know, there is only one 4" port at the bottom section. I have seen people online add another 4" tube to the section just below the table on the front side of the blade, AND a smaller hose hanging down the guide rail, just above the blade and work piece. Any of you doing this? Good idea? Overkill?

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/workshop/dustCollection.html
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

I haven't done anything more than stock and I get a lot of swarf that doesn't get sucked up by the DC. Meaning - the dust collection on my bandsaw is not great.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I haven't done anything more than stock and I get a lot of swarf that doesn't get sucked up by the DC. Meaning - the dust collection on my bandsaw is not great.

Mike
    Yeah, me too. I'm thinking of some modifications. Actually, for the Table Saw, I've seen those hoods that act as blade guards. They seem to work well, but I don't use anything over the blade because I like to see what I'm doing.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

On my 14" Delta, I use a 4" port under table where tiny little port used to be. Collects most of the dust. No cutting of saw required, only adding Rockler blast gate brackets and a 4" sch 20 sewer tee, one side of which is capped off with a butter container lid. Good enough to win "Top Tip" in Wood Magazine several years back.

The 4" dust port on my Rikon is low on the right hand side and missed a lot of dust. I now use a 4" / 2 1/2" Y-connection. The 4" is connected to the standard port on the Rikon and the 2 1/2" is connected to a segmented duct which is part of a kit sold by Peach Tree which is designed for drill press dust collection. The other end is connected to my cyclone dust collector. I use the flat end that comes with the kit wedge right under the table insert in the saw's table. I get a much larger percentage of the dust because it's more efficient to grab the dust right below the insert as it comes off the saw blade.

I made a cardboard box that is under the table, held on by bungee cords, very high tech

regards, Rod.

I have a 1412 and find the dust collection through the single port is fine. I previously had an 18" Rikon with two ports that was much less efficient at dust collection. One thing I have noticed is that you need to use the sliding L-shaped panel that fits up against the bottom of the table to get maximum collection efficiency. If left in the down position which is necessary to open the lower compartment, I get much more dust inside the lower compartment.

18" Rikon collection

Quote Originally Posted by Al Weber View Post
    ...I previously had an 18" Rikon with two ports that was much less efficient at dust collection....
    Mike (and Al),

I didn't have to add a port, but I can describe how my bandsaw dust collection is configured and how it works.

I have the 18" Rikon and the dust collection is amazing with both dry and wet wood. (I process a lot of green wood into turning blanks.) The Rikon has a 4" port at the bottom and another one angling up just below the lower guides. Nothing accumulates in the cabinet.

Any discussion of dust pickup effectiveness should probably mention the dust collector itself. Maybe what makes mine work so well is the possible over-capacity of my DC - a 5hp ClearVue cyclone with 6" ducts. I have only one blast gate open at once. The suction is incredible.

I split the 6" duct right at the bandsaw into three 4" ducts - one to the bottom port, one to the angled port, and one free 4" flex that I position as needed on top the table (and hold in place with a magnet). This works very well and as mentioned leaves no dust in the cabinet.

I did get a little spray of dust from just below the table so I made a shroud from cardboard, held to the bottom of the table with magnets. The back is open which tends to direct airflow towards the upper port. The prototype test shroud worked so well and I am so lazy I've not yet followed through with my plan to make a permanent one from clear plastic. The upper port is immediately below the cardboard.
    bandsaw_shroud1_IMG_20161101_102828_050.jpg bandsaw_shroud_2_IMG_20161101_102544_683.jpg
    I devised this cardboard shroud years ago when still using a shop vac and it improved things then. With the cyclone it works far better.

I use the free length of flex (the kind that keeps it's position) on top the table to pick up dust thrown from the side of the blade when making skimming cuts. Otherwise, all the dust from the blade goes down and is removed there.

JKJ

I have a Craftex 14" (similar to Grizzley) and it came with 2 ports, one near the top of the bottom wheel and one at the bottom. I blocked off the one at the top of the bottom wheel and made a shroud similar to JKJ's out of 1/4" mdf. It's held in place around the bottom guides with disc magnets, and comes out to a 2" port. I run that and the one from the stock configuration through a Y, then a 4" flex from that to the DC. I get pretty much no dust at the bottom of the lower door.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

What John said. You need a lot of flow to do a good job. It doesn't matter how many ports you have if you don't have enough flow. It took over 800 cfm before I got good results on my new Grizzly.

John

For whatever reason bandsaw brushes for woodsaws have no moving parts but for metal cutting bandsaws they use a rotating wheel brush. I would think any kind of brush would help kick the dust up so it can be sucked away rather then sticking to the blade by static electricity.
    Bill

Rob cosman has a video recommending under-table dust collection attached to shop vac:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww

do your grizzly and laguna have different table heights? I do feel that lower tables help with resaw, but also feel less personal.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Rob cosman has a video recommending under-table dust collection attached to shop vac:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww

do your grizzly and laguna have different table heights? I do feel that lower tables help with resaw, but also feel less personal.

Matt
    I have an Asian clone of a 14" Delta bandsaw which has no dust collection. The lower enclosure is not even close to being air tight, there are large gaps between the removable panel and the fixed part. Adding a dust port to the enclosure would be futile. I saw the Rob Cosman video and tried his approach, it works extremely well with my shop vac. Basically you are collecting the dust as close to the source as possible rather than trying to suck it out of the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    For whatever reason bandsaw brushes for woodsaws have no moving parts but for metal cutting bandsaws they use a rotating wheel brush. I would think any kind of brush would help kick the dust up so it can be sucked away rather then sticking to the blade by static electricity.
    Bill
    I have brushes in my two wood-cutting bandsaws, either they came that way or I've added them. (I cut pieces from a small, stiff scrub brush for the Delta.) I find the brushes are especially helpful when cutting a lot of green wood to minimize buildup of gunk on the tires and blade. I still have problems with my WoodMizer sawmill when cutting resinous pine so I think a brush or two would help there.

JKJ

i have a Laguna 14SUV with two 4" ports connected to a 5HP Oneida cyclone. Clearly should be sufficient. Yet, there always is a pile of sawdust in the bottom door. The top never seems to get any sawdust. So, using the stock design with huge dust collection gets most but certainly not all the sawdust in the bottom cabinet.

I'm always vacuuming up the table though.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.