Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector automation?

Auto gates

Hi Gary,
    While planning my DC system I realized that if I didn't include a means to simplify its use I wouldn't turn it on or open an out-of-reach gate for a quick cut. I ended up building an attached shed so I could keep the cyclone running all the time and I installed the Ecogate system on the machines that I would be less likely to open for those quick hits. So far it is working very well and I'm glad I stepped up to the automatic system.
    Keep in mind, tho, the Eco in Ecogate doesn't stand for Economical.
    Definitely spendy but in the long run it will be worth it. Good luck, John.

Go simple

I have a single switch that drops from the ceiling at the center of my shop, and tend to keep the DC running most of the time that I'm in the shop. Oneida says that the motors don't like being switched too often, and I can usually benefit from having an open gate to act as a high capacity "air cleaner".

The only problem with this scenario is constant noise, which I handle with my WorkTunes hearing protectors and WDVX.

Current Sensor

I found an article in some magazine a couple years ago. It uses a current sensor that your hot wire runs though. Whenever a current is detected, it sends a signal to a relay that turns on the power to the D/C unit. I'm very happy with this system. I also have a manual override switch I can use for floor clean up, etc. You can run more than one circuit through this if you want. So, I have one 110 volt circuit and one 220 volt circuit that goes through this sensor. Any machine I want to use with the D/C system I just use on those circuits. The two parts came from Grainger - I think they were about $50.

The low voltgage blast gate relays sound ok too. But I'm happy with this because I only need power on the tool to start the D/C.

Dale, that was Fine Woodworking. BTW, this particular thread is from 2005, but represents a subject that is always interesting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a remote for my ShopVac (that my BIL just got me for Christmas) and my DC unit came with a remote. I've found both to be very handy. Since I have to switch machines I don't leave the DC or vac on when I move the hose to a different machine.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I use the Multigate system with the microswitches on every blast gate. I also have a manual switch centrally located in the shop. The system works great and is very handy for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I only use a remote for my DC system - shop isn't big enough to justify the expense of automation - Darn - wish it were bigger so I would have to automate

I second using a centrally mounted switch. I personally would lose a wireless remote in like 20min.

Although I have an ecogate setup to some of the machines but not for all of them. I can manually trip the cyclone on with a couple pull chain switches hanging down from the ceiling. no matter where I am I am only a step or two from being able to turn the machine off.

I'm using a setup from the August 2000 issue of Fine Woodworking. It senses current flow and automatically turns on the DC. It includes an override and it's served me well for the last 3 years.
    Les Derusha

I integrated a logic controller and Ecogates because I got the parts for next to nothing and knew how to use PLC's. I enjoyed putting it in and enjoy having it, but if I didn't have that knowledge and access,I would stilll be happy with just a remote.

11. An automated system would be great, but you do need to be careful with them. Frequent restarts of a motor can damage the motor due to the cumulative heating caused by the high startup current. Some systems limit the number of restarts by using an off-delay relay, which keeps the system running for several minutes after the tool has been shut off. The drawback to this is that if you know you are not going to be restarting the system for a while, you still have to listen to it run for several minutes anyway.

The blast gate switches is a nice compromise because you can decide if the system will cycle too frequently, and simply leave a blast gate open until the work is done.

Now for the Cadillac of systems, that would be Larry's PLC-based system, and it would make for a fantastic automatic system because it could be made intelligent and tailored to the type of work the shop normally performs! The PLC could be programmed to detect frequent restarts and introduce an off-delay or any other method to reduce restarts based on whatever was programmed. Oh my, it could do so much more too. For example, if someone forgot to close the garage door for a certain time, or anytime after dark, the PLC could automatically close the door to protect your tools from walking away. You could even set it up as a security system, and a bunch more. Nice Larry! (BTW, What PLC are you using?)

scottj owen

I have a central switch but the remote sounds like a good idea. I have a 3 phase dust collector, can you add a remote for this machine?
    Thanks

13. Scott, in order to control a 3-phase motor you need to break at least 2 of the 3 conductors, so some of the methods described previously will not work for you for having remote control from multiple locations. That is to say, you will not be able to use 3-way and 4-way switches (but see below).

In your case you must use a relay or motor contactor to control the motor. However, there is a good chance that your 3-phase motor is already controlled by a magnetic contactor, and if this is true, you are actually ahead of the game. All you would need to do is control the relay coil of the contactor, and depending on the contactor, this may be either low voltage or high voltage. If it is low voltage, then you can use telephone cable to run between your controls and the contactor. If it is high voltage, then you could use the 3-way switches described by others.

Describe how the DC is controlled right now.

Automatic Gates

There has been an ongoing discussion of automatic gates in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71943

Todd
    Todd Crow
    Northern MN

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kittleson View Post
    Another "it's on the way" dust collector question, or perhaps poll:

Do you use any DC automation, such as automatic power to the DC, or automatic blast gates? If not, has it caused you to skip turning it on for "just one cut"? If you do use them, do you like it, and would you make the same purchase again?

Thanks,

Gary
    I use a remote setup and use it all the time - even for one or two cuts.
    Have teh joiter and plane now attaced with flex permamnently until I run duct work. I have one other I move between the router table and the table saw.