Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
The Bailey is also a 5-1/4. So for roughing do I want a full radius on the blade or a straight section in the middle and rounded toward the edges?
The Bailey 5-1/4 and the Veritas 5-1/4W are actually very different planes. If you put them side-by-side with the sole facing up you'll see that the Veritas has a 2" wide blade vs 1-3/4" on the Bailey. You'll also see that the Veritas plane's mouth is quite a bit further back along the sole (it's a rather unique plane in that respect). The point I was making earlier is that if you're going to pick one to use for roughing work then the Bailey's narrower blade might be preferable.

I grind my rouging planes with a camber radius that equates to somewhere between 0.050" and 0.070" of blade projection when the blade corners are level to the plane's sole. That works out to a 3-4" camber radius on a 40-1/2 scrub with a 1-1/2" blade, and 6-8" a camber radius on a #5 with a 2" blade (all of this assumes bevel-down planes with 45 deg beds). It would correspond to a 4-6" radius on your Bailey $5-1/4. People typically use rounded edges on jointers and smoothers, not so much on roughing planes.