I have a Bailey 5-1/4 plane. It was covered in rust with pits that I'll never remove because I'd have to remove too much metal to make them go away.

It's really an "extra" plane if there is such a thing so I'm considering turning it into a scrub plane.

This is a list of my planes to help you help me decide:

Veritas:
Apron Plane (my most used)
5-1/4 Jack (standard, not low angle)
Low-angle block plane
Miniature block plane (yes, I use it)
Miniature edge plane
Bevel-up Jointer
Low angle smoother (the one with the painted sides)
Router plane

Lie Nielson:
Model-builders plane
Violin plane
Small spoke shave
Large shoulder plane
Rabbeting block plane

Other:
Stanley hand plane - disassembled and a rusty mess. Came to me with a Stanley tool chest that included the 5-1/4
Wil-Kro razor plane
Primus smoother
Some Japanese-style jack plane that has emotional issues

Except for the Japanese jack plane and the two rusty Stanley's, I love all my planes. They're mostly relatively new - purchased over the past 2 years. I can sharpen them competently although I'm not great using them but getting better as I now go looking for reasons to plane something and if I can't find one then I plane something anyway.

So what else could I use my Stanley for and what do you suggest? I have cleaned off all the surface rust and the blade is polished and sharp on the business end but corroded and pitted over the rest of the blade. I know I could purchase a new third party blade/chip-breaker that would be better than what's in it but before I sink money into it I want it to be doing something that needs to be done that none of my others will do just as well in their current configuration.

Hopefully that last sentence makes sense.

Thanks,

- Paul