Thread: Jet JWTS 10JF Contractor saw

Jet JWTS 10JF Contractor saw

I mentioned over the week end about the good deal I got on the Jet Cabinate saw http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25542
    and some asked me to post pics when I had it up and running so here it is.

First of all some comments on assembly.
    The instruction manual (once I down loaded it from the Jet site) was better then average. It was very good at how to set up the saw, wings alignment, splitter alingment , adjustment of the fence and blade stops. It also reccomended haveing two people when you install the motor which would have been easier but I managed it by my self. I will say that the blade stop were dead on from the factory. The inspection sheet on the table states that the miter slot alignment to the blade is withing .005" and the arbor run out is .0008" so for my use it will do fine. The fence for being a standard fence apears to be very good.

I plan on a few inhancement in the future including.
    1. Better blade
    2. Mobile base (at 300 lbs it's a real bear to mive around my small shop)
    3. Router table.
    4. Zero Clearance insert
    and I'll probubly change out the spliiter for a better one and add some board buddies.
    I haven't hooked it up to a DC yet since I don't have one in this shop and that'll have to wait until I get the bigger shop.

The assmbly time took me about 6 hours. Oh by the way it passed the nickle test first time out.

Here are some pix.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-30-2006 at 6:21 PM.

Don that is a nice looking saw and I might say at a very good price. Sounds like you got a plan of action to make good use of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm not in the market, but after reading your initial post, I stopped by Lowe's to see what they had that saw marked at....still $499. Couldn't find anyone to dicker with on price. I'll stop by some other time and make an offer similar to yours.

That's a well proven workhorse...incredible deal at $200!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Post Scott, I think I will try that too...

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    I'm not in the market, but after reading your initial post, I stopped by Lowe's to see what they had that saw marked at....still $499. Couldn't find anyone to dicker with on price. I'll stop by some other time and make an offer similar to yours.

That's a well proven workhorse...incredible deal at $200!
    We've bought a few appliances in the last year, and know the manager on a first name basis (due to service being required - lesson learned - don't buy a Frigidaire commercial freezer - buy Whirlpool instead - and it took 3 weeks and $$$ in lost food as a result).

I am hoping we can leverage that and get a good price like you are hoping. Check my other post on Don's first thread - there's also a $100 rebate on that tablesaw!!! I didn't see anything about sale pricing negating the rebate terms and conditions.

Good luck - I hope to have some, since I've been a neader from day one - it would be my first non-portable saw... or I wait a bit and get a slightly better unit, or a cabinet table saw.

Cheers!
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

Awesome Don. That is a nice saw. Do youself a favor and go to amazon and order the Jet mobile base. I paid like 39.95 etc. for it and it holds up to 600 lbs I think. It is a tool less assembley... all pin lock in hole construction. You can have it on the base in about 10 to 15 minutes. I put that on my Delta and haven't thought twice about it since. Enjoy the new saw!
    Corey

The October 'Woodworker's Journal' had a review of contractor saws, including this one. It mentioned that Jet has a new model coming out "in late 2005", which may explain some of the price oddness at Lowes. The article also showed this saw as coming with a laminate-covered MDF extension table which doesn't show up in your pictures...missing or just not installed yet?

Oh, and second Corey's recommendation of that mobile base: I have one on my bandsaw, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    The article also showed this saw as coming with a laminate-covered MDF extension table which doesn't show up in your pictures...missing or just not installed yet?
    There was no extension table with the saw and the box was sealed so I am assuming that it must be an option.

In terms of getting the best deals from the Borgs, according to my son you want to approach then when they are having a "clearance sale" These saws were in front of the store outside. They also had a pallet full of the DeWalt CMS's, if I didn't already have one I would have made a deal on one of them also. They are the older model that DeWalt is phaseing out for the new models. My son tells me that some of the contractors who frequent the store buy appliances that way many time at 10 cents on the dollar.