Thread: Recommendation for new sanding belts 6"x48"

Recommendation for new sanding belts 6"x48"

I have a 6"x48" 2hp stationary belt sander. One belt that I had been using lasted 5+ years. So I replaced it with other used and new belts that I had in the drawer for years. Blew through 4 belts in a row, all came apart at the seam. My only guess is that the heat in the shop over the years weakened the seams. (When not using the sander, I always take off the belt to take the pressure off it.) Kind of exciting when they come apart but, not the kind of exciting I like! Wasn't doing any unusual sanding, unit is good shape and runs smoothly (replaced all bearings in motor and top head about 3 years ago). Anyway, looking for recommendation of some good quality belts. Thanks. Randy

I’ve been buying abrasives from Klingspore for years. Never had any problems and they have different levels of quality to suit your budget.
    www.woodworkingshop.com

Actually I have seen their ads in wood mags over the years, couldn't remember their name. Thanks Mark, I contact them. Randy

I had that same thing happen with a belt sander, old unused belts that let go at the seams. Last belts I bought were from amazon, some seller named M-Jump, mainly because the reviews mentioned how good the seams were. I have no complaints.

Sanding belts have a limited shelf life. Buy only what you need for the project you are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Sanding belts have a limited shelf life. Buy only what you need for the project you are working on.
    Robert, I guess I just learned that lesson. Why do I learn so many things so late in life.... I also just found some new belts that I didn't even remember I had bought years ago. Tired one and the seam overlaps, wood just bounces off the seam because its thicker 2x than the rest of the belt, totally non usable. I'll cut them up to fit my two vibrator sanders... Hope someone else on here learns from my mistakes. Randy