Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veneer Press options ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Most are used for making plywood and veneer solid core doors. Sweet machines for sure, still regret passing on a few.
    They are great for keeping pizza warm as well!
    0664461B-5254-42A7-BF38-C06D5BE0DCE1.jpg
    5555F8DD-2E85-497D-BECD-60D1278A57B4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is funny Joe. Probably thin crust too!

see the big presses as well. I just have a simple bag set up home made with a heavy quality bag. Could you not have one of the table top ones that is hinged on a wall then you lift it up when you need it and it has legs then folds back down on the wall when not in use. That is what I thought to build if I had a flat table one. For stuff ive done so far not all would work with flat. The odd thing rather than a panel is larger and would not fit the table or even the bag so a temp bag set up was made. havent seen the large pro model you guys mention but will look it up.

Here are some frame press kits one of which is 54"x54" http://www.qualityvak.com/frame.html. Vacupress sells several kits and complete units, but larger than you want https://www.vacupress.com/vacupress-...frame-systems/. I set up two of their kits for the shop I used to work for, the hardware is good quality and the company is reliable. Another supplier of various size kits- http://www.vacuum-press.com/table.html.

Like several other posters here I rely on a bag press due to space limitations, but for flat and low profile curved work a frame press is far more convenient.

These might be more in your price range from Veneer Systems. I have no connection but use them for product, especially Unibond 800.

http://www.veneersystems.com/index.p...category/id/8/

I occasionally get asked to glueup specialized veneer panels and have made my own setup on a 4' x 8' table that's been laminated with industrial HPL. The table mainly serves as my main work top. I have a small vacuum pump and bought a 5' x 9' sheet of 30 mil polyurethane thats gets clamped to the tabletop with a simple frame and a series of 2" spring clamps, when I need to do veneer. While simple in approach it works well for small to large projects and you don't have the aggravation of trying to get everything in a bag.

Are you guys talking about veneer presses or mobile work tables?
    For veneering, I have a few different bags and a different plattens. If I want to speed things up a bit, I throw an electric blanket on top of the press. As far as a dedicated press system, I would have to do a lot of veneering in a "successful" shop to justify the cost vs. convienance. I have been in many one-man pro shops and have seen 4'x8' bags that are covered w a sheet of plywood which is covered w "stuff". In other words, it seems guys don't really use their veneer systems as much as you think.
    Rick, you are too young to be thinking about getting too old��

The Felder is just over $20,000 Canadian .. not exact, I'm sure its cheaper on the East coast as well due to freight .. The big Barth was more..

I wonder about using a vacuum generator vs a pump ? Does anyone have any experience with this ? I have a 5hp Rotary with a 90 gallon tank, it produces a large amount of air at 145 psi.. Its always on .. always available, if a Generator would work, it would reduce the amount of motors in the shop..
    What are the downsides to a generator that has access to lots of air ?

I read on one of the sites that the vacuum alone creates a glue setting time of about 40 minutes.. with heat however allow only 5 minutes.. That's a remarkable difference. Is an electric blanket effective ? Would you insulate the underside of the press ?

I like the idea of a frame to work as another clamp.

I appreciate the links to the other frames, I had not found those .. I would actually like a table that flips up on the wall, perhaps I could make it happen myself. 51" x 51" that sits on the wall would be awesome.. Flip it down and use it .. flip it back up .. If the table is rigid enough, I could simply build the wall mount part myself ..

I have several bags and platens and choose the smallest practical. While a frame is attractive I can't justify the space for something I realistically use once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I have several bags and platens and choose the smallest practical. While a frame is attractive I can't justify the space for something I realistically use once a month.
    Bill in my case the frame is 2 pcs 96" x 1" and 2 pcs 46" x 1" are stored upright in a corner and are assembled when needed, the poly gets rolled up and put back in the box it was shipped in, not a whole lot of space. Using 2" spring clamps around the perimeter roughly every 4" gives enough sealing against the HPL top and the vacuum pump only cycles every 2 minutes during the drying period. Using Unibond 800 gives a lot of time to work with materials and clamp the edge. Having 100 plus 2" spring clamps for doing solid surface is definite a plus for this system.