Thread: Walnut Sec. Build Part 6 – Cabriolet Legs, Scalloped Aprons and Pullout Writing Surfa

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Walnut Sec. Build Part 6 – Cabriolet Legs, Scalloped Aprons and Pullout Writing Surfa

Earlier parts of the build are posted in separate threads here for anyone interested. Despite my best efforts, I can't fiquire out how to up load larger pics so this is the best I can do.

I tried to add walnut veneer to ¼” plywood for the back of the bookcase. I need to find a better adhesive; I’ve used Tite bond before, but have problems with it soaking through the veneer and leaving blotches, so this time I used spray on adhesive that absolutely did not work, requiring multiple, time-consuming repairs etc. I’m hoping nobody notices when it’s installed. I would really appreciate suggestions/advice about best way to glue veneer to flat surfaces.

1.jpg

Here are the 4 legs with curves laid out from the template, and with excessive labeling to hopefully ensure I don’t screw-up by shaping the wrong surfaces (yes, I have done that before and I hate when that happens!!).

2.jpg

Before cutting/shaping the legs I chop the mortises for the aprons. They meet in the middle and tennons will be mitered. Because there is not a lot of meat left in the legs to support the mortises that can be reasonably expected to get significant stress due to the leverage of the legs, I’ll add glue blocks to give additional support.
    3.jpg

Here is sawing out the square upper portion of the legs that will be joined to the aprons.
    4.jpg5 (2).jpg6.jpg

Legs after the rough shape has been precariously sawn out on the cheesy, under powered bandsaw.

9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images