Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's next?

What's next?

I'm stalled. Thinking about new projects. I'm a "utilitarian" project kind of guy. I've built all the shelves, frames, tables, work benches, and decorative items that can reasonably be contained in Casa Luter. We have all the furniture we need. I've thought about doing a couple lamps, but we're lousy with them. Any Creekers hit a stall in the past? What did you make next? I may need to start remodeling my Neanderthal shop just for something to do.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Think outside the box

" ... that can reasonably be contained in Casa Luter."

Maybe it's time to do some projects to compliment the Casa Luter grounds? Garden gate, garden bench, a pair of Adirondack Chairs, maybe a swing, bird house, gazebo?

Or smaller utilitarian things like cutting boards, carved spoons, picture frames, jewelry box, tea box, new medicine cabinet, dividers for the kitchen drawers, pullout shelves for the base cabinets in the kitchen, dividers to store cookie sheets, closet organizers, crown molding in every room ...

Rob, have you considered making some tools? Perhaps a smoothing plane or a few H&Rs? Maybe a bowsaw? Or a nice marking gauge or bevel gauge? You can get more ideas for cool tools to build by looking at Derek Cohen's posts or website. He's nearly always up to something fun!
    Fred

Look for a Habit for Humanity chapter near you. Or a Rebuilding Together. Make stuff, and give it away. Help your neighbors. You get the fun of building, they get to use it. Everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Look for a Habit for Humanity chapter near you. Or a Rebuilding Together. Make stuff, and give it away. Help your neighbors. You get the fun of building, they get to use it. Everybody wins.
    That's a good idea Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Rob, have you considered making some tools? Perhaps a smoothing plane or a few H&Rs? Maybe a bowsaw? Or a nice marking gauge or bevel gauge? You can get more ideas for cool tools to build by looking at Derek Cohen's posts or website. He's nearly always up to something fun!
    Fred
    That's probably my next move. I need a bow saw I can cut curves with. Thinking about building a timber frame style wood rack too. I really like that style of joinery. We have all the cutting boards and bird feeders we need.

Habitat is a good idea too. Our company is very active with Habitat for Humanity and other worthy causes.

Find a friend, tell them that you're itching to make stuff, and offer to make them anything they like for the cost of the wood. You'll have plenty to do very quickly - and it's amazing how rewarding it is to create something for someone else and see them use it. You'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm stalled. Thinking about new projects. I'm a "utilitarian" project kind of guy. I've built all the shelves, frames, tables, work benches, and decorative items that can reasonably be contained in Casa Luter. We have all the furniture we need. I've thought about doing a couple lamps, but we're lousy with them. Any Creekers hit a stall in the past? What did you make next? I may need to start remodeling my Neanderthal shop just for something to do.
    Bigger house. I also suggest consulting McMansion H*ll for furnishing and interior design ideas.

Just spread it around that you are going to remodel your shop. The ideas will flow in like water from all around. Works every time.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I replaced the bedroom dressers and so forth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do you have any hand or power tools that need fixing/sharpening, I find that it's something I can put off until it becomes critical.
    Like the dust bag and plate of of my 4 x24 belt sander.IMG_2848.jpgIMG_2849.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Do you have any hand or power tools that need fixing/sharpening....
    i used to restore rust hunt finds. It got out of hand in a real hurry. I recently divested myself of 11 saws, about 30 planes, and a bunch of other assorted tools. I'm hoping I can stick with my user set for a while

Blog Entries
    Panel the walls and make furniture grade built ins.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Panel the walls and make furniture grade built ins.
    I may carpet my shop too.

Blog Entries
    Something I've been wanting to try is to cut pieces of plywood and glue them into a rough shape of a chair, then, using an angle grinder, start removing wood to form the chair, using just the angle grinder.
    I watched a guy make one years ago on TV. It turned out incredibly nice.
    That's a lot of sawdust, I know, but it looked like fun.
    Also, I read about and saw pictures in a bike magazine where a guy sat on wet concrete to form an imprint of his butt, then he took a piece of sheet metal and hammered it into a seat for his bike. He said it was the most comfortable seat he ever rode on.
    You could use that as a model as you carve the seat of the chair.