Thread: Spray booth

Spray booth

I've decided to definitely go ahead with getting spray equipment and will set up a spray booth in the shop. I can push things aside and can clear an area about 10' wide and about 8 feet from the window. I have a large window fan that I will use covered by a filter (2400 CFM). The finishes used will be water based such as General Enduro. There is a flourescent light in this area. My thought as an inexpensive way to do this would be to velcro heavy plastic from the ceiling batting nailed to the ceiling and against the far wall and anchor it to wood on the floor which I would weigh down.
    - If I do that on two sides and leave a door open behind me to bring air into the shop should that work?
    - Will the plastic still billow if there is no further support?
    - Do I need to cover the flourescent light above?
    Thanks

I use 6 mil plastic hanging from nails in the floor joists for my temporary spray booth. Kraft paper on the floor. The plastic just hangs to the floor; no weights to anchor it down. I have LED lights on the ceiling w/o covers. No problems yet.

My experience with filters is they slag up from over spray, even if the over spray is dry by the time it hits the filter, so I don't use any. If your fan is far enough away from where you are spraying the over spray will be dry by the time it gets there and nothing will build up on it, and the exhaust will stay constant with no filter replacement or maintenance required. All you'll find is a little white dust outside. Put your filters in front of the door you plan to open for the make up air to eliminate dust and bugs.

John

That's good enough for water-borne finishes. My preferred filter if the pleated paper type. They don't clog up for a long time and are cleanable. Any spray shop should carry it. Cheers

Actually, it's good enough for shellac, too. WB and shellac is all I spray, which allows for a very low tech. approach.

John

Thanks for the responses. Here's what I've done so far: Hung plastic from the ceiling and back wall using wood strips and velcro and installed a fan. The overhead powered dust filter will be covered when I'm spraying. I haven't decided yet about a fan filter. I may also use a gentle fan behind me if the air flow is not quite enough. The fan I have generates 2450 CFM which I hope is fine in this 8' x 10' foot space.

3.jpg

That's a good start Alan. You do plan to add at least another side wall, correct? You want to pull air from the front of the spray booth, over the work, and out the back. To do that you need two sides.

My advise is not to add a fan to push air into the spray booth. The exhaust fan will exhaust only what it can; trying to add more air than it can handle will only create unwanted turbulence. Also, you likely will need more lighting than what you now have in order to really see what you are doing, but that will be obvious if required once you start spraying.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's a good start Alan. You do plan to add at least another side wall, correct? You want to pull air from the front of the spray booth, over the work, and out the back. To do that you need two sides.

My advise is not to add a fan to push air into the spray booth. The exhaust fan will exhaust only what it can; trying to add more air than it can handle will only create unwanted turbulence. Also, you likely will need more lighting than what you now have in order to really see what you are doing, but that will be obvious if required once you start spraying.

John
    Based on my experience I would definitely agree. I have found that even having my air filter system running 20' away effects the ventilation. I use 3 walls with a door opening on the back wall. The other thing that jumps out to me in the picture is the filtration system on the ceiling. I would cover that with plastic while spraying. Window fans are less expensive to replace than a shop filtration system and i would imagine that getting a bunch of over spray in it would not be good over the long run. On this point I am only speculating so others may havr better first hand knowledge.

I was definitely planning to cover the overhead filter when in use : ))
    There are currently two side walls (the plastic hanging just in view of the picture on the left is perhaps not obvious) and the far window wall? Are you suggesting adding a 4th wall with a door opening in the back or just didn't see the left wall?
    The suggestion re: not adding an additional fan is appreciated.
    So, I'm leaving town for a week and will get the sprayer when I return. Still deciding between the Apollo Eco 3 with E7000 gun vs Fuji mini mite 3 T series. From what I've read, either one should work well. Then, hopefully there will be no more reasons to apologize for my finishes.
    Thanks for the help.