Thread: Should I glue table base before waterlox? Best process?

Should I glue table base before waterlox? Best process?

I'm excited! Nearly two years later I'm ready for assembly and completion of my slab coffee table.

Should I glue first then waterlox apply OR finish with waterlox what I can then glue?

I do not plan to glue the top to the legs so tomorrow I think I'll coat the underneath of the table top, leaving the large mortises varnish free in case I have to glue it down the road.

I can't decide if I should apply waterlox on the legs and cross piece before glue up. I worry about having glue squeeze out ruin the look of joint by collecting in the grain. I was thinking about taping off the tenon and mortise with blue tape then applying a coat of varnish then gluing up once the first coat of waterlox dries.

The top of the table top will get finished after assembly.

Pic of table upside down pre-assembly for perspective. Other photo was how it fit a year ago before I chose to add the cross piece.

Blog Entries
    It is generally not a good idea to try to glue over finish. Sometimes there are areas that will be difficult to finish after glue up. In those instances, you can mask the glue surfaces with painters tape or regular masking tape, apply your finish and then glue it up after removing the tape. Bear in mind that oil type finishes will creep under the taped areas.

You can also apply painters tape right along the glue lines to prevent squeeze out from getting on the finish. Just be careful that none of the tape gets pinched in the joint as it will be difficult to remove.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-01-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For that piece I would glue it up before finishing. If you are worried about glue getting out onto wood that will show then either tape off around the joints prior to glue up, or apply paste wax to those areas. Glue won't stick to the wax and you can remove the wax after glue up with mineral spirits.

John