Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Information.....TMI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Too Much Information.....TMI

I was looking through advertisements for auctions in the area and noticed one auction had a few items of interest.....and then after reading the advertisement a few times to ensure old eyes read correctly, it stated, "Terms of the sale are cash or check guaranteed with a credit card. All buyers must have a fingerprint on file (which we can take on sight (sic) if you have not done so already). This is for Cox Auctions in Ohio.

Who in the right mind would allow someone to take your fingerprint in order to do business at an auction, especially if you pay them cash for the transaction?

I remember buying a house in 1996 and the escrow company insisted on a full set of fingerprints. I got pissed and asked if they wanted a blood test and a stool sample, as well, and it almost cost me the house. I caved because I had to...

i have bought every car I've ever owned with full cash money (no credit, no payments) and every dealer still forces me to have my credit checked. Without the credit check, they won't sell the car. I bought my kids a little 80cc ATV and the same thing happened!

Ive noticed that people under 40 have a much higher tolerance for this kind of invasion (forfeiture) of privacy. They just don't seem to be bothered by it. It's a tough thing for me to deal with, personally. I hate it.

but there is nothing I can do about it. If I want to get certain things done, I have to give myself up to it. It's a crazy society we've crafted in this regard and I am not a fan.

on a similar note, why do I seem to be the only human being left who actually deals in green cash money? Everyone I know uses their phone or a card these days. They spend $3.59 at a local taco shack and they whip out the card.... it's not my style...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I remember buying a house in 1996 and the escrow company insisted on a full set of fingerprints. I got pissed and asked if they wanted a blood test and a stool sample, as well, and it almost cost me the house. I caved because I had to...

i have bought every car I've ever owned with full cash money (no credit, no payments) and every dealer still forces me to have my credit checked. Without the credit check, they won't sell the car. I bought my kids a little 80cc ATV and the same thing happened!

Ive noticed that people under 40 have a much higher tolerance for this kind of invasion (forfeiture) of privacy. They just don't seem to be bothered by it. It's a tough thing for me to deal with, personally. I hate it.

but there is nothing I can do about it. If I want to get certain things done, I have to give myself up to it. It's a crazy society we've crafted in this regard and I am not a fan.

on a similar note, why do I seem to be the only human being left who actually deals in green cash money? Everyone I know uses their phone or a card these days. They spend $3.59 at a local taco shack and they whip out the card.... it's not my style...
    I find myself going the card router for every purchase i make these days. I only need to swipe it, quick and easy.
    My opinion on privacy is that it does not really exist any more, that it is just the illusion of privacy that remains,

I have to keep my finger prints on file with the Fed's.
    Every 5 years they take another set.
    I always ask if they've changed.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-02-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I am guessing that baby footprints are strictly hospital security protocol in case of an abduction and to aid in the case of a mixup, it does happen.
    NOW you tell me...

It drives me nuts when I'm in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and as I watch the cars ahead of me pull up to the window and she hands them the debit machine. Some are fairly quick and some take forever to hand it back and then she hands them ONE COFFEE!!!! ... I feel like screaming.. "CARRY 2 BUCKS WITH YOU!!!" I like it when the debit and credit is down at the grocery store and the lineups are 6 deep at every register.. I move straight to the front with cash while everyone stands there wondering how to pay for their groceries!!

Cash always works. After three hacking incidents, I only use my debit card for a couple of specific retailers for gas and groceries. Otherwise, I get cash at my banks ATMs for everything else.

I do remember a few years in the '70s when my bank required a thumbprint to cash a check. Implanted chips are on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Cash always works. After three hacking incidents, I only use my debit card for a couple of specific retailers for gas and groceries. Otherwise, I get cash at my banks ATMs for everything else.

I do remember a few years in the '70s when my bank required a thumbprint to cash a check. Implanted chips are on the way.

Try renting something from the Home Depot Rental Store. Credit card only, no cash transactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Try renting something from the Home Depot Rental Store. Credit card only, no cash transactions!
    That's because you're not really paying for the tool, you are providing them a means to charge you if you take off with the tool. I'm sure you can pay for the actual rental fee in cash if you want and just have that credit card on file.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    It drives me nuts when I'm in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and as I watch the cars ahead of me pull up to the window and she hands them the debit machine. Some are fairly quick and some take forever to hand it back and then she hands them ONE COFFEE!!!! ... I feel like screaming.. "CARRY 2 BUCKS WITH YOU!!!" I like it when the debit and credit is down at the grocery store and the lineups are 6 deep at every register.. I move straight to the front with cash while everyone stands there wondering how to pay for their groceries!!
    Why? I never carry cash, it requires an extra step that I have to go to a bank or ATM to get the cash, then hand it to someone else. Why bother? The card stays with me all the time, no extra step required.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Why? I never carry cash, it requires an extra step that I have to go to a bank or ATM to get the cash, then hand it to someone else. Why bother? The card stays with me all the time, no extra step required.
    Except when the Debit/Credit is down...then all the cashless people are complaining and scrambling trying to find a way to pay!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Except when the Debit/Credit is down...then all the cashless people are complaining and scrambling trying to find a way to pay!!
    I can't remember the last time I had that happen to me. In that situation, I simply go elsewhere. There is effectively no one that doesn't accept credit cards these days.

I can't remember the last time I had that happen to me. In that situation, I simply go elsewhere. There is effectively no one that doesn't accept credit cards these days.
    My local lumber source. Cash or personal check only.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Generally for the first two weeks after a hurricane, cash is definitely KING! That's why I keep some on hand.

Up until just 3 weeks ago one of our drug stores didn't accept credit cards.