Thread: Working on the New Shop

Working on the New Shop

https://goo.gl/photos/PRLXdEaSozMzmwsZ7

I found a building in my area for sale for $5000. After a little negotiating we decided $500 month for 12 months.

The front is 400 Square feet with 10 foot ceilings. The plaster lathe is very bad down low. We are installing a pallet board wainscotting.

The back is 2000 square feet and is an old bar. We removed half the floor and have some storage for tools and wood.

There is a new service installed! Good roof the contractor I bought it from installed new rubber.

The best part is this. We have ZERO dollars invested in materials. Everything has been free or leftover from past jobs. Factor in the storage lockers i was paying for to house the tools and ladders and the building is a break even. SWEeeeeeeEt.

Blog Entries
    Wow- I couldn't even get the lot to put it on for $5,000. That's a great deal, and great that he financed it. May I ask where you live?

Wow, what a great start to a shop! I built mine from scratch but starting with a building will save so much effort. First thing I would install is a good security alarm and maybe cameras. My shop is just down the hill by the barn but I still put in video cameras I can monitor from anywhere with a phone app. (does need internet access)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Wow- I couldn't even get the lot to put it on for $5,000. That's a great deal, and great that he financed it. May I ask where you live?
    I live just outside of Pittsburgh, in Beaver County, Ambridge, Pa.

I will post some more pictures but don't get me wrong the front of the building 400SF is the only usable space. The rest of the building is in deplorable condition. Mt wife hated it until she grasped that it was the same price as a storage unit. BUT after 1 year I no longer pay rent for locker just taxes.

There are 2 1 bedroom apartments on the second floor that needed gutted and rehabbed. I may use on as an office.

The next step is to get in an break down about 50 pallets we collected of a Craigslist ad "Pallets Wanted". I will be building some stuff off Pinterest to sell at a couple local wine related events. Hopefully this will help to purchase some of the equipment I need.

I made this serving tray in my old workshop which was a coal cellar!

Serving Tray.jpg
    Serving Tray1.jpg
    Old Shop.jpg My old Work Area
    Finish Area.jpgFinish Area

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus R Geiser Sr View Post
    I live just outside of Pittsburgh, in Beaver County, Ambridge, Pa.
    My old stomping grounds. I grew up just south of Pittsburgh on the Monongahela river and wandered around western PA from Washington to New Castle to Kittanning. I like the area but I don't much care for the winters there. (Our house had a functioning coal cellar. It would have made a better cell than a shop!)

JKJ