Thread: Question for those with a Laguna 14bx...

Question for those with a Laguna 14bx...

...when you are taking the table off, do you cuss at the designers that decided to put ratchet lever knobs on the trunnion bolts? Especially since both the door and the dust chute are directly in the way of the knob handles?

And if you did something about it, what did you do?

-N

I have the same issue with the back one on my 14/twelve. I simply cut the handle short enough to clear the obstruction, about half. Still easy to tighten adequately.
    Mike

Do they have an allen head bolt in the center? If so get either a T-handle or L style allen wrench. Put it in the allen bolt and hold down on the handle to disengage it while you spin it out. A T-handle or screw driver style handle would work best but you can do it with a regular allen wrench as well. Of course you can do this in reverse when reinstalling as well.

Taking the table off is a chore because of these, but putting the table back on is even worse because the trunnion bolts are floating so putting any upward pressure on them to engage the threads just pushes the bolt up. And that would be fine, but the bolt can go all the way in the trunnion housing so no threads are exposed. So you really need a third hand to hold the bolt in place while you use a second hand to disengage the handle and the other hand to spin the knob. It's really a terrible design decision, and seeing the same style on the new 18bx makes me wonder if I'm just doing something wrong. Surely SOMEONE besides me has complained to Laguana about this.

The simple solution is just to replace the knobs with something that can spin in that space, but I think the threading on the trunnion bolts is different than most commonly available jig knobs. I guess I could replace the trunnion bolts too, but that's sad that the customer has to do this to an otherwise excellent bandsaw.