Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
If you get the itch, I'll happily take delivery of a Roubo

Ah, that's a nice idea for the softwood one. I feel you're pain in working with box store material, I've done it a time or two. The best so far I've experienced is green (literally wet) "cedar". It chops cleanly because it is wet, but of course then you have to dry it. I did that recently for my shoji frame (not the shoji or tracks, but the heavy framing), having accounted for the wood movement I was expecting. It does take a serious bit of planning to work around green material, but it can be an advantage as well at times. It works with great ease, I chopped the entire frame out in one half day by hand.
Brian,

Building ain't a problem, shipping is another story .

I've been rushed, working wet DF from HD, and all other excuses I can think of, that's my story anyway....In spite of that, bottom line the bench is rock solid, doesn't scoot, doesn't rack but damn it is butt ugly. When we get back from Oregon I expect this bench will belong to MsBubba and her ceramics studio and I'll build another for the Motorhome.

I finished installing the back of the vise this morning. It still needs the mortise for the parallel guide, hole for the vise screw, and the screw nut install but a good part of the vise install is done....Now I just need the screw.

Photo of bench with tool tray and vise back:

moravianBenchWithSlabAndViseBackA170813dscf1980.jpg

ken