View Poll Results: Do you use a Multitool for Fine Woodworking?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 35.90%
  • No

25 64.10%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use a Multitool in the Woodshop?

I answered no, but maybe I should start using that for corner sanding......... Have not used that attachment yet.

But for those aforementioned jobs, there is no alternative...

We got one to restore some old dining room chairs. who's abrasives do you all use? the HF ones are predictably bad.

I don't use it in the shop. I do use it for one task, and it is invaluable. That is cutting already-existing baseboard in place when I'm installing built-in cabinets. That's worth the price of the saw for me. But I haven't found much else for it.

I have used it for flush cutting plugs and as a detail sander. It is not particularly good for either.

It is one of those things I regret buying, but buying it was pretty inevitable because it looks like it should be so​ useful.

Yes. I am building a wood model of a Russian house, 32 x 25 x 58" tall. The sheathing is resawn pine ~1/12" thick. After I build, I cut windows with the Fein which does a rough cut which I further trim with a shop knife and chisel. The cross grain wood buckles and resists hand tools when I use them (alone) to make an opening. The windows are no larger than 2 1/2" x 1 1/2", often smaller, so I broach the pine with small drill holes at each corner to permit oblique entry of the saw blade. It works!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    ...The sheathing is resawn pine ~1/12" thick...
    Never heard of anyone measuring wood in twelfths of an inch.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I've used it in the past, would probably use it more if I actually remembered to. I probably use it about as much as I use my Dremel, for the same reason, it isn't sitting out where I remember I've got it most of the time.

I use mine during installation probably more than any other saw. It's absolutely essential for cutting into existing baseboards, crown molding etc. In the shop I use it rarely as a saw but it is awesome for detail sanding. I just used it today to sand some brick molding and baseboard that I milled up. Way faster than hand sanding on profiles that a palm sander cant do.

Ten letters
    Attached Images Attached Images

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I have a Fein that I've had for about 16 yrs. I use it frequently on site and shop. I made some custom fingers with aluminum plate and cork and use PSA paper for sanding in tight places and corners- very handy but you've to be careful about the oscillation scratches and use fine grit paper

Although I had not read this particular thread previously, today I purchased a Makita TM3000C.

I burned more than (the equivalent) to USD 200 for the multitool and an interesting assortment of blades... I considered that the price for peace of mind as I considered to purchase that tool a thousand of times in the last years and always I rationalized I did not need it as I could replace its functionality with other power or hand tools easily for occasional use.

From all I had read and listened it looks easier to find real application for multitool around the home when you is a DIYer (my case), but I had some hope to use it also in structural woodworking to create better (and easier) joints as well to sand in difficult places as I have no dedicated triangular sander.

This thread created some hope to find some actual return in the purchase of my toy... perhaps it can turn in an actual tool for me after your inputs...

Thanks guys to share your experience.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 08-14-2017 at 8:40 PM.

I answered no, but of course I occasionally do use a multi tool for finished work. I said no, because the multi tool is never part of the original plan.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post

This thread created some hope to find some actual return in the purchase of my toy... perhaps it can turn in an actual tool for me after your inputs...

Thanks guys to share your experience.

My hope too!! Jury is still out though.