I live in a 1925 house in which a previous owner painted over the original stained and varnished woodwork (baseboards, door and window trim, window frames, and doors) in two of the upstairs bedrooms. The trim and frames are white oak; the doors are fir. Much of it has chipped off, exposing the original stain, and I would like to remove the paint and restore it to stained wood. So, what is the best way to remove the paint? It appears to be no more than two coats of paint, and as far as I can tell, the previous occupant did not sand the varnished wood before painting. A few years ago, I had excellent success removing paint from another fir door in the house using Strypeeze (I did this outside, placing the door on sawhorses), and it removed the paint without taking off much of the original stain and varnish/finish, necessitating only light touch up work to restore the door to its look. But I've read that we should avoid stripping paint with products containing DCM, which Strypeeze contains. Are there other products that work just as well but are safer? I plan to remove all of the trim and doors and doing the stripping operation outside and then refinish/touch up as necessary before reattaching.

Another thought is to run some of the flat baseboards through the planer, taking off 1/32 of an inch, but will that ruin the planer and its blades? It will also remove the original finish, so I'll have to restain and refinish the pieces.

What recommendations would you make for such a project?

Thanks in advance.