Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's been a year since

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's been a year since

Hey everyone. So in 2010 I asked what table saw I should buy. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hase&p=1559594

Lots of people said Saw Stop. I bought a Jet table saw instead. Well I wanted to let everyone know that last year I cut my left index finger off and part of my thumb. I sold the Jet tablesaw cheap and bought a Saw Stop. I wish i would of before.....

Dang... Sorry that you had to go through that. Hope you can still enjoy woodworking though and with confidence knowing that youre a bit safer with the SawStop. Which one did you end up going with and how are you liking it so far versus the Jet?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The truth is that there are many serious table saw accidents every year. Some of those accidents get reported here, some do not.

SawStop has a good story - if you make a mistake on the table saw, it will back you up.

Mike
    No offense intended but does this mean we should start holding all power tools to a standard where a blind individual should be able to shove a board or pull a trigger and be saved without consequence? If so, the cost of woodworking on a hobby level will soon put any average Joe out of the hobby, and on the professional will will close the business down flat.

There are operations I use to do in my sleep that I no longer do due to my physical limitations. I now relegate those to the youger, more agile, guys. Maybe I should just forge ahead and sue

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    No offense intended but does this mean we should start holding all power tools to a standard where a blind individual should be able to shove a board or pull a trigger and be saved without consequence? If so, the cost of woodworking on a hobby level will soon put any average Joe out of the hobby, and on the professional will will close the business down flat.

There are operations I use to do in my sleep that I no longer do due to my physical limitations. I now relegate those to the youger, more agile, guys. Maybe I should just forge ahead and sue
    I don't know how on earth you could get that from my posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

No one "earns" an injury. And everyone does something stupid in their life. To quote a famous philosopher "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I know I couldn't cast a stone, and I doubt of anyone else here could either.

Mike

[There are a number of times in my life that I wished I had something that would absolve me of doing something stupid.

And I'd prefer to receive absolution than to lose my fingers.]
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Brian I agree with some of what you say and I'm not going to beat up on the OP as he has enough on his plate to deal with.

Think about this scenario. If this had been an individual's first seizure, or stroke, or heart attack, there were never any warning signs of a health issue, they were observing all the safe practices and the Saw Stop had saved their hand. Would they have still been stupid or smart for having the extra safety feature?

I've opted for the additional safety and have become more safe around the saw because of the better guard and riving knife that I never used on my older saw. You can call me stupid if you like. I won't be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    ... they were observing all the safe practices and the Saw Stop had saved their hand...

If people would actually observe all of the necessary safe practices there would be no need for SawStop. I personally have zero sympathy for anyone who takes the guard off of a tool and then proceeds to get hurt. Like Brian I feel like people earned whatever they got.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If people would actually observe all of the necessary safe practices there would be no need for SawStop. I personally have zero sympathy for anyone who takes the guard off of a tool and then proceeds to get hurt. Like Brian I feel like people earned whatever they got.
    John,
    If people would actually observe all the necessary safe practices there would be no need for a "guard"! or riving knife, or Saw Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    John,
    If people would actually observe all the necessary safe practices there would be no need for a "guard"! or riving knife, or Saw Stop.

Very true. But you've got a cult of Saw Stop that wants everyone to own them while not recognizing that if people were just responsible and careful in the first place, they wouldn't be necessary. I have nothing against Saw Stop, except for the very idiotic move to try to force the industry to buy their proprietary technology, but this cult-like mentality is just absurd.

...and if people were just careful there would be no need for guards on pulleys and belts, or need for car insurance....come on guys!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

The OP did not say anything to that effect - wishing he had had a SawStop and thus might have avoided his injury is not blaming the saw that he did have. You are making that up.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Now I'm in a cult? Whoa.

When do we vote for the new Grand Poobaa?

I suppose the upside is we will always have a secret handshake.

Lot of vitriol aimed at a guy who permanently maimed himself. I remember this site being much friendlier.

I don't see any vitriol aimed at the OP...

I sense a sort of disbelief, in general, that a gentleman with a history of grand mal seizures would choose woodworking with industrial tools as a hobby. I, too, think hand tools would be a much safer/better option...

and secondly, they are showing a dismay, in general, that more and more people have become complacent around dangerous machines (cars included) and are looking for technology to save them from themselves rather than looking in the mirror and learning proper technique. (Cars included)....

If you make it a habit to text while driving, does that mean you "deserve" an accident? I don't think so... but the amount of sympathy you will receive when you put your car in a ditch is lessened significantly.... we reap what we sow.