Thread: Tractor Fest 2017

Tractor Fest 2017

Needed to get out and walk a bit, anyway. After almost 3 days in the Cardio Ward....felt good to be out and about....
    lumber 1.jpg
    Found this piled up outside a metal shack...
    saw mill.jpg
    This was inside that shack...
    saw blade.jpg
    Maybe do a thread on sharpening a saw blade like that??
    back saw.jpg
    Spent $15 on a 4" x 26" backsaw.....spine says Disston & sons....etch says Langdon/ Millers Falls....
    one dollar.jpg
    Spent a dollar for these two...a scratch Awl, and a North Bros. #33H ( needs a tip..)
    price tag.jpg
    Had to read the price tag twice...before I spent $8 on a Stanley No. 4, Type 9.....
    Trying to get this sight out of my head...
    Alice Challmers.jpg
    Is it Allis, or...Alice ?
    This wasn't much better..
    wood motor mount.jpg
    Uses a branch as a motor mount?

More pictures if wanted.....Fest runs tomorrow and Monday.....admission, and parking is free.....West Liberty, OH...

Ok, have had time to tear the backsaw down a bit....

Brass hardware had been copper plated, and might have nickel plated..long ago...

Handle does NOT match the age of the saw.....Plate was from Millers Falls, MASS, USA.

Apparently, the handle is a replacement, that needed one bolt slightly moved to match existing holes.

Plate itself was given a ClearCoat finish ( about normal for this seller..) Area under the handle was heavily pitted.

Full etch, from top to bottom:

LANGDON MITRE SAW
    (pointless Triangle) Millers Falls
    ( star as the triangle's point)
    Millers Falls MASS USA

On the spine: Henry Disston & Sons
    Cast steel Philada. Warranted

Wonder IF I should leave things as is? Have cleaned the hardware to Brass....clearcoat is long gone.

May put it back together, and try it out on a Stanley #2246 box, see if it needs sharpened?

May go back tomorrow or Monday and look around a bit more....

Alrighty, then....rehabs.

Couldn't do too much to that Sceatch Awl
    Awl.jpg
    But I could make a tip for the Yankee #33H by North Brothers. They had a "Handyman" line LONG before Stanley did...
    Tip can handle 1/4" drive sockets, like a nutdriver.
    Next...a saw?
    brass.jpg
    Cleaned the hardware back to Brass. Medallion says H. Disston & Sons
    plate.jpg
    Once I got the nasty Clearcoat stuff off....plate wasn't too bad
    IMG_1679 (640x480).jpg
    Best that the camera can do, showing the etch...if I move back any..
    reflections of.jpg
    I can see myself. Lastly, something about a plane?
    dates.jpg
    $8 plane? More in the next post....
    Stay tuned..

Ok...The iron had a curve to it....hammered that flat. Bolt holding the iron to the chipbreaker was too thick....ground it down a bit, tab can now reach the slot to adjust the depth..
    IMG_1674 (640x480).jpg
    Near as I can find out..MOST of this plane is a Type 9... ( like the sap wood on the knob?)
    IMG_1676 (640x480).jpg
    Underside of the lever cap..
    IMG_1675 (640x480).jpg
    It appears they had replaced the iron, chipbreaker , and bolt. Clipped corner box logo, has a date stamped on the under side...137? 1st quarter of 1937?
    IMG_1672 (640x480).jpg
    Bailey in front of the low knob, No. 4 behind it
    Sharpened a new bevel to about..600 grit, for now..
    shavings....jpg
    Test Track is Black Walnut. Might have a bit too much camber? Shavings?
    thin shaving.jpg
    Sole was even flat ( imagine that.....)
    sole.jpg
    Other than somebody's dirty thumbprint....oops. Sides were cleaned up. Did not find any cracks, anywhere. Bolts were cleaned and oiled a bit.
    $8? I paid my money, and walked quickly away....

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good deal.

Does the handle feel solid under the tape?

And what is with the 3 days in the Cardio Ward? I guess if you are out and able to do stuff it wasn't that bad.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

BP spiked at 220/120 Wed. night......took that long for them to find the right meds to bring it back down.....135/85 now. Meds were too low, so now there have been "doubled up" with an extra type of med thrown in. After 6 years on the same meds, was time to adjust them, I guess. Keep an eye on yours....

Handle is very solid, kind of like the grip the friction tape gives. Tote bolt was bent right at the bottom...managed to get most of that to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    But I could make a tip for the Yankee #33H by North Brothers. They had a "Handyman" line LONG before Stanley did...
    Stanley only had a Handyman line because they bought North Bros. in the mid '40s. Stanley later expanded the Handyman line to include planes and other tools that were not of top-tier quality (or price).

Same time that the North Brothers were selling "Handyman" tools, Stanley was selling "Four Square" homeowner line of tools. Stanley brought back the Handyman line about..1959....and used a different number for the Yankee lines.. Mine is a #33H....Stanley is a #133H, and looks a lot different....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    BP spiked at 220/120 Wed. night......took that long for them to find the right meds to bring it back down.....135/85 now. Meds were too low, so now there have been "doubled up" with an extra type of med thrown in. After 6 years on the same meds, was time to adjust them, I guess. Keep an eye on yours....

Handle is very solid, kind of like the grip the friction tape gives. Tote bolt was bent right at the bottom...managed to get most of that to go away.
    Good to here it wasn't too serious. When ever the words Cardio Ward or Cardio Unit it makes me think of my own time their and in the ICU.

Friction tape, the duck tape of the 1940s and '50s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)