Thread: tracking down a low angle paring chisel from an old post

tracking down a low angle paring chisel from an old post

Hi all,

a while ago someone posted a toolmaker - I think german - that made 01 low angle paring chisels 17 or 18 degree primary bevel if I recall.

anyone know/remember about this?
    there was a link. I can't find the post...
    Last edited by Assaf Oppenheimer; 02-09-2022 at 2:11 AM.

two things:

1) I found the post and its link - https://www.lmii.com/47-chisels-gouges.
    anyone have any experience with the brand? I have never heard of it before

2) how do I delete this post (the entire thread is redundant)?

If they're O1 and tempered to 61 RHC, they should be pretty good. Other makers make chisels w similar specs. Reprofiling the bevel is also not a big deal.

The Stanley No. 40 Everlasting chisels will hold an 18 degree bevel quite well. These aren't the old 40's, but the ones with black plastic handles with metal cap. I'm sure that handle is a turnoff for a lot of people, but they go for good money on ebay. I have quite a collection of them, some of which I bought new in the '70's. Some of mine have 17, and 19 degree primary bevels, with 18, and 20 degree cutting edges. I use them for a lot of different things, including woodworking.

I have no idea what the metallurgy is, and don't really care, but do have a strong fondness for them. I probably have 20 of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-09-2022 at 12:39 PM.

I responded to that. I got my Heidtmann gouges straight from the factory in Germany maybe 12 years ago as a group purchase orchestrated by Al Breed. I like them still. I also have a couple of their LMI chisels I got when I bought a guy’s luthier shop. Never used them, can’t attest to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    two things:

1) I found the post and its link - https://www.lmii.com/47-chisels-gouges.
    anyone have any experience with the brand? I have never heard of it before

2) how do I delete this post (the entire thread is redundant)?
    Question 1: I have bought and used the LMI firmer chisels and don't recommend them. Mine was too soft/wouldn't hold a stable edge no matter what I did.... And I took it up past 30-degrees. I believe they are "Lamp brand" fyi... It's not O1, it's a water hardening tool steel of some sort or another. W1 is referenced in the DIN spec for wood chisels, so it's probably something along those lines.

Second bit... I've fooled with my fair share of chisels, and have not managed to come up with one that takes a reliably stable edge at twenty degrees or below. Other people claim to. They have skills I don't.. My suspicion is that a very low angle has to be treated very gently.

I do appreciate a low primary bevel for it's effect on easing the cut, but I end up using a higher secondary bevel to enhance the edge retention.
    Last edited by John C Cox; 02-11-2022 at 5:10 PM.

John have you tried David Weaver's "unicorn" method? You can find it on his you tube channel. You end up with a microscopic arc/bevell at a higher angle that promotes edge retention when the bevel is at a much more acute.

I'm familiar with the unicorn method.

It's great when the underlying steel quality is there. In that particular chisel's case, it simply wasn't. The edge would never stabilize.

Blog Entries
    Second bit... I've fooled with my fair share of chisels, and have not managed to come up with one that takes a reliably stable edge at twenty degrees or below. Other people claim to. They have skills I don't.. My suspicion is that a very low angle has to be treated very gently.
    Yes, low angled bevels do need to be handled with a bit of TLC (Tender Loving Care). They do not hold up well to the mallet. They do not hold up well to taking thick shavings. For paring they can't be beat. One just has to do a bit of touch up more often.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-12-2022 at 1:56 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't remember ever using a mallet with a low angled chisel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-12-2022 at 8:25 AM.

The edge on those chisels would fold when paring end grain spruce. No mallets. A regular hardware store Stanley held up fine.