Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Tools that are much better than you expected

I bought an old Elu 3303 on CL a while back for $20. After a bit or grease on the plunge mechanism and a new power cord, I'd have to say it is one of favourite power tools.

1950's vintage Delta Rockwell 12-14 table saw including Biesmeyer fence and original miter gauge. $550. local pickup, simple restoration

It's a beast and smooth too

Junkyard tools... Most all exceeded my expectations. They turn out better than expected. Never know what I might find...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    The worksharp 3000 and their kitchen knife motorized belt sharpener. Sharpening is very much not my favorite thing to do... These make it way way more enjoyable. .
    +1 for the worksharp 3000. I have arthritis in my hands and sharpening on stones was very hard for me to do, and I would be out of the shop for a day or 2 while it calmed down. So I didn't sharpen as often as I should have, and nothing takes the joy out of working with wood like DULL. The WS3000 gives me back sharp tools. Are they as sharp as blades worked on for hours on wet stones? Probably not. But they are mighty sharp and a pleasure, again, to use.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Yes, simply amazing. It replaced a Bosch of similar size and there is no comparison
    Good to know ... my Bosch SDS finally gave up the ghost and I was debating a rebuild or replacement. Assuming Hilti makes SDS.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

6. Tajima plumb bob...20+ years of millwork installation of high end,tight tolerance work....its dead on accurate ,hands free and never goes off...levels get banged up and go off ,they're open to interpretation....EVERY carpenter in NYC has one, don't see them as much outside the city.....

My Clearvue Cyclone, working in a clean work shop is so much nicer than in a dusty dirty one.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    My Clearvue Cyclone, working in a clean work shop is so much nicer than in a dusty dirty one.
    Amen. My shop is by no means "clean" but could be far worse. The bandsaw cabinet never accumulates dust. The drum sander doesn't get the Dylos upset. I'm still amazed when I see dust and shavings come off the lathe and do a 180 and head for the dust pickup behind the lathe. I'd like to try to get a good photo of that.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    The original 7.2V Makita cordless drill. I got one probably 35 years ago, but it's long since departed. It was small, light, good power & even though it had no variable speed or braking function, it was still pretty easy to control for driving screws. Of course, by today's standards, it was crude & battery life was short. But back then it was a total game changer for me. Used it all day, every day at work.

My Dremel was given to me by me wife & I thought it would be completely useless. That was until I really needed it. There are many things that just can't be done any other way as easily or as quickly. I don't use it often, but I wouldn't want to be without one.

Bent nose pliers from Ace Hardware. I've got a whole drawer filled with pliers, but I grab these 9 out of 10 times. The bend has just the right angle to see what you are using them on, and gives an advantage to pull on whatever it is I'm reaching for.

18461540-214x214.jpg
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Plus 1.
    Also Hammer A3-31 joiner/planer combo. Gives me a way bigger joiner than I’d ever have stand alone and saves a ton of room.

The Incra 1000SE miter gauge. Last week someone was asking if they were a good investment and I thought about how many times I have bang that around and it is always spot on.

It has been many years but still remember being amazed the first time I used an ROS -- a big time saver from the 1/4 sheet vibrating sander. Also, the first impact driver I used. I never thought I could drive a three inch screw in just a few seconds.

Knipex Camlock Pliers. I have the small and medium sizes and I just always seem to have them in my hand. My box and open end wrenches seem to languish in the tray. Fabulous tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Knipex Camlock Pliers.
    Are you talking about the Knipex pliers wrench? If so they are AWESOME.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Knipex EVERYTHING! But I think he's talking about the ones that replace Channel Lock pliers with a different design?