Thread: Black Cherry & Ohio Magnolia

1. Black Cherry & Ohio Magnolia

This first bowl is third of three Cherry bowls that a friend of our's from church ordered. It come from a blank I traded Dennis out of - I had a Cherry that was drying and needed a dry one to finish turn.

7-1/2" wide, 2-3/4" tall, 5/16" thick - sanded thru 600, lil' bit o' beeswax, burnished, polished, buffed.

This Magnolia came from Joe Tonich when he came to Arkansas for a visit this past summer. It's a small bowl, but turned out pretty nice IMO.

It comes in second in the stinky category only to Black Walnut...

5" wide, 1-5/8" tall, 5/32" thick - sanded thru 400, thin coat of Tung Oil, and then buffed

Mark, I particularly like the nice foot treatment you are doing on your bowls. the foot certainly makes them a cut above the average. Very nice and clean look. That is a fine looking cherry bowl!

So is the magnolia bowl but I can offer no explanation for the odor. I have not turned it so I don't know. Maybe since it is a Southern wood it takes on some perverse climatological cellular changes as a protest to being grown in Ohio. Or it could be that some Ohio dogs just mistook that Southern tree for a fire plug.....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mark I agree with Mike! Love those foots your doing!
    Nice Form on them both Im sure she will love it!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Mighty fine once again Mark. I think we have a "Clearcut Cothren" in the works!

Both look great Mark and I agree with the others on the fine looking foot you are putting on the bowls. It really makes them stand up and be noticed.

Nice Job Mark.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Beautiful work Mark! I really like turning Black Cherry...especially for the smell. I guess the stinky Magnolia was just a payback.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson