Thread: New sliding table saw

New sliding table saw

Well, it's new to me. I used to have a slider, and sold it because I didn't use it much. After a few years I got the itch again, but just wanted a little one. I bought an Agazzani band saw from a private party the other day, and he had an old slider table saw there. It needs a lot of love, but is actually pretty good, and not used much, so I went back and bought it last night.

It is an old Mini Max SC3, with a cast iron slider that supposedly makes a 5 1/2' stroke, but looks longer. It has a 3HP single phase motor, and a 50" Beisemeyer fence. The first time I saw it, the table would hardly move, and I dismissed it out of hand. Last night it moved pretty easily, but obviously has some bearing cleaning or replacement in it's future. Looking under it, the sliding mechanism looks so basic, even I could figure it out, and simple to work on too (he hopes). It has the articulated table complete with hold down and fence, plus the heavy arm for the blade guard, but it is missing a lot of parts. Riving knife is in there.

It is a strange saw, with no slots on the table or the slider for any jigs. There are also no inserts around the blade (which turns freely and has no arbor wiggle), there is just a machined area on the table for the blade to go up and down. No possibility of dado set on the 5/8" arbor, anyway. It did come with three nice Forrest blades, one of which was brand new, and an HTC mobile base. Paid $500 for it.

Like I said, needs lots of love, but seems basically sound. My thought for it is to first get it cleaned up and adjusted, then if I like it, I may cut the fence and table down to about 30". If I don't like it, I can probably make a couple bucks on it and get the Grizzly I have been thinking about.

I am going out of town for a couple weeks, then I have to get the Agazzani (24") off the truck, before I go pick up the SC3.

Dang, I thought I was a REFORMED tool junkie. Guess I had a relapse.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 08-14-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Congratulations, Rick! That will be a nice machine once you get it cleaned up and ready to go. Please get in touch with Sam Blasco when you have the opportunity...he's "the" MM rep and also one of the foremost authorities on using these type of tools. He may be able to give you some good advise on getting everything working smoothly including pointing you at where to get any missing parts, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,

I will try to contact him after I get back in town. I have a parts diagram with parts numbers, but would like to get whatever manual it came with.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Pics finally.

Off loaded and ready to clean up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zxA7ctk4R2xVtUHv1

Still on truck. Note the slider mechanism. Pretty basic, but robust. Works fine, but necessitates a longer slider than newer models because it does not have extending carriage like newer ones, which work kind of like a drawer slide. It must be made with some pretty good steel, as it cleaned up easily. What you see is mostly redwood dust, not rust on the mechanism.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4lxfiPq2YxAGr53y1
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-15-2017 at 3:03 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

THat's a pretty nice, stout machine, Rick! Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

$500.00!!!!!!!

Jeez, I hope you felt bad, or maybe really good, buying it.
    I know you got a little work to do on it and maybe some parts to buy, or make, but that's nice!!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Wow. $500!! GREAT JOB!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.