Thread: Is This Jointer Worth It?

Is This Jointer Worth It?

Hi there,

I was browsing Kijiji and came across this jointer, it looks quite old but the price seems pretty decent it is only $125 Canadian. Not much of a description about it but was just wondering if it would be worth while to ask a few questions to the owner and if anyone has had experiencing with this Craftsman 6" Contractor Series (2 1/2 HP)

Thanks in advance!$_27.JPG

It sure seems like a decent price to me (however, I don't know how USD and CD convert) if it is in pretty good shape. Being old is not necessarily a negative and could well be a positive.

Blog Entries
    Could ask him to let you come over and use it for a few hours maybe?

$125Can = $98US. I'd buy it just to have a second for final cuts with sharp blades.

5. A jointer isn't complicated. If you can get the tables coplanar, then its a great deal. If you cant, then it's not.

Graham don't wait to long at that price it will move quick. Craftsman kind of lies about motor horsepower, it probably attains 2.5 h.p. for all of 1/10 of a nanno second at startup. realistically is more than likely to be a 3/4 h.p. motor. That machine is pretty decent looking,probably made in Taiwan. I would buy it.Good luck,Mike.

I can not tell if the fence is center mounted or not. If it is center mounted I would buy it for sure. At that price even if it is end mounted I would get it.
    Bill D.

How would I be able to tell if it is or is not if I look at it in person and what is the difference?
    Thanks.

End mounted fences at attached to the very front end of the front table extending past the cutter almost to to the end of the outfeed table. The one linked is centre mounted.

The casting and even the stand look like my Woodtek chiwanese planer that I bought 20 years ago for about $300. The only difference that I can see is the Craftsman label and the color. My jointer has been a work horse and I have only considered replacement of it recently because I want an 8" jointer. If it runs and cuts, and I was looking for a 6" jointer, I would buy that one in a heartbeat for that price, even if it was US$.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I would buy it.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Go look at it, the belt, motor, mounting, blades, . . . .............
    You can grind the nicks out or replace.
    Is it rusty, any bearing noise noise or vibration?
    Does it look right

If it checks out, go for it.