Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Basic Stropping Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    I have switched from using leather to using a piece of paperboard. My favorite is the stuff they make cereal boxes out of.
    The boxes used to pack IPA beers would work for me, something to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Srivaths View Post
    From the science of sharp site you quoted...
    This thread has been inactive for over three years. Patrick Chase, whom you quote, hasn't visited for over two years...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    This thread has been inactive for over three years. Patrick Chase, whom you quote, hasn't visited for over two years...
    Even with the age of the thread it may continue to bring information to future readers.

In the interest of science, after your 10K bench stones, if you could try a denim strop with a 10 micron AlOx paste and then the diamond paste on leather, and see if that results in a better edge, it would be useful to know.
    This doesn't make any sense. My Norton 8000 stone has a 3µ grit size. Why should the edge it produces be submitted to a strop with a coarser material?

Being able to judge the sharpness of an edge using various means has led to observations about stropping.

One test would be for folks to produce the best edge posable with their preferred stone set up. Test the blade with whichever method(s) you prefer.

My observation using a Norton 8000 water stone was three strokes or less on a hard leather strop was able to improve an edge. More strokes could actually be detrimental to the edge.

This can be highly dependent on not only technique but also on the material of which the strop is made.

Maybe try this on a few different blades. Try a different number of strokes on the strop. Try different strops with different compounds if available.

Take notes on the results. They will likely be useful for your sharpening regimen.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)