Thread: Poly and Blue Tape

Poly and Blue Tape

I have a complex glue up for a project. I think it will be best to pre-finish some of the smaller pieces. I have applied dye and a seal coat of shellac. I plan about four coats of wipe on poly. Here's my question: if I let the poly set for a day or so, can I put blue tape on it without any negative effect? I would probably have to leave the blue tape on for about two days, but no more than that. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks!
    Chip

Whats the reason for the blue tape? The poly will provide plenty of glue protection to the face.

i am nervous about putting anything on varnish before it is cured.

I do a lot of masking off on both varnish and painted surfaces. Whenever possible, I avoid using blue tape as bleed through happens too often. I learned the hard way not to trust the safe-release blue tape that claims it will not damage a finish as long as its had 24 hours to cure. If I had to use it, I would give the finish at least a week to cure - just to be safe (r).

Instead of blue tape, I use plain old scotch tape. It's thinner, rarely allows bleeding, and easier to remove. Also cheaper. I've tested it on pieces with 24 hours of curing and found no problems. Try it on a sample board and see if it works for you.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Will any squeeze out just wipe off without hurting the finish?

If it's cured enough to handle without marking, any water based glue will wipe off. Clean off the excess then wipe again with a clean damp cloth to get the last bit off. Cheers

Yes, chip. The squeeze out won't harm the poly finish. But I would wipe it with a wet rag before it sets up so you don't have to scrape.

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    If it's cured enough to handle without marking, any water based glue will wipe off. Clean off the excess then wipe again with a clean damp cloth to get the last bit off. Cheers
    +1. Works very well.

If it makes any difference to your assembly process, the shellac you have to seal down the dye will also work as a barrier coat for the (water based) glue and you can safely wipe away squeeze out with a damp rag and not affect the shellac.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Well here is a related aside that many of you probably already know. Some blue tape isn't compatible with lacquer (like nitrocellulose). The label on the roll will indicate lacquer safe if it is. If it isn't, something in the tape adhesive will eat into your finish. That will mess up a nice gloss ukulele finish.

Nelson