Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highest bridge

Last years Tour de France crossed that bridge. They said the cross winds were really bad...
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

I can't help but notice the seemingly high percentage of us who are afraid of heights (add me to the list). Maybe there's something in the sawdust?

Cool bridge, BTW. I've seen the wide-angle shot before, but it must have been a heck of a project to work on.

- Vaughn

The wide angle distortion in the picture might make it seem longer, but it is a very long...and high bridge. It is 1.55 miles long (2.5 km) and 919 feet high (280 meters). The combination of length and height is very impressive to me.

Here is another photograph:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The combination of length and height is very impressive to me.
    I agree 100%.

I thought the Sortland bridge in Norway was scary. It looks like it is about 10' wide and it's high enough for a cruise ship to pass beneath. Then of course there is the tunnel to Magerøya which runs for 7.5 km under the sea down to 212 meters. Just wet, raw rock between you and the ocean above. Weird thing to see a guy on a bicycle riding through there with cars and tour buses zooming by.

It would make a great bridge to go bunge jumping off of!!!

They are going to charge people 6.5 Euros to cross that bridge. Wonder what that would be in US dollars?

About 8 bucks
    Only the Blue Roads

Blog Entries
    I have to wonder how "earthquake proof" that span is. Looks pretty darned vulnerable.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees
    I have to wonder how "earthquake proof" that span is. Looks pretty darned vulnerable.
    I don't think it's in a particularly active part of the world from that point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ault
    The wide angle distortion in the picture might make it seem longer, but it is a very long...and high bridge. It is 1.55 miles long (2.5 km) and 919 feet high (280 meters).
    Is that 919 ft to the road deck, or to the top of the highest tower?

Here's another rather impressive bridge (for height at least) right here in the US. They even allow bungee jumping and parachuting from it.

I watched a program on Saturday about the bridge-- they did something that had never been done before-- they built the road part of the bridge on land and used hydraulic jacks to slide the sections from each end onto the pillars. Then bolted the two sections together. It was amazing to see the huge pieces coming together. Lined up perfect.
    Jerry

My wife and I crossed New River Gorge on our way to Pittsburgh a couple years ago. My grandfather was a coal miner so we stopped at the miners museum on the north side of the bridge.

A couple of my employees go there to rock climb each year.
    James

I thought it was this years TDF? Maybe it was last years??? I remember the commentators talking about it. Apparently (and understandably) the people the inhabit the town in this valley are pissed. The tour passed them by and so do all the travelers now. Their economy from travelers has gone.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"