Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free form Furniture on DIY channel

Free form Furniture on DIY channel

I was wondering if anyone had seen the new program on the DIY channel called Free form Furniture?

The hostess is Amy Devers who has earned a Masters Of Fine Arts from the Rhode Island School of Design. She appears to have some hands-on real life experience in that she was once a machine shop foreman. And, she is easy on the eye.

Her projects are well made, and could be duplicated by anyone with a complete woodworking shop The shop she uses on TV is fully equipped with Delta cabinet saw, jointer, planer, drill press, etc. The cordless tools are all Festool.

No she is not quite up the caliber of David Marks, but I think she could give out old friend Norm some competition.

Any thoughts, or am I just being lead astray by another pretty face.

There is a rerun of this weeks show on DIY at 9:30 PM eastern.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,
    I caught the first show and liked it enough to TIVO the series. I like Amy's presentation style and obvious competance with the equipment. Some of the projects have been a little funky and so far, thats been my only criticism. If she expands her project choices to include some David Marks type projects, I think the shows got staying power.
    Ted

Ken,
    I think that attractive young lady may be bluring your objectiveness. The complexity of her projects is no were near his Normness. So far I'm thinking that equipment if for show only, haven't seen any stationary tools, other than the bandsaw in use het, have you?

Some of the projects have been a little funky and so far, thats been my only criticism.
    Yeah, especially those round outdoor stool/table things...I think "overdesigned" was the word I used, and it wasn't intended as a compliment. Not to mention this stuff she's doing isn't exactly cheap to duplicate, either in labor or materials: wenge veneer, Corian tabletops, etc. The two "wood" projects I've seen weren't too bad though.
    So far I'm thinking that equipment if for show only, haven't seen any stationary tools, other than the bandsaw in use het, have you?
    She used the table saw for the CD rack project and to cut the plywood tubes to length. There was also a metal-cutting bandsaw, sander, and drillpress when she made the metal shelf brackets from scratch. But they're not using a lot of air-time to show her feeding wood through machines: more of the design and assembly aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oliphant
    Ken,
    I think that attractive young lady may be bluring your objectiveness. The complexity of her projects is no were near his Normness. So far I'm thinking that equipment if for show only, haven't seen any stationary tools, other than the bandsaw in use het, have you?
    Dan, you could be totally correct. I was just making a guess on her competence based upon her ease of tool use. I also agree that her projects have not been something I would do, but I do like her use of multiple mediums - wood, metal, plastic, even leather.

On this weeks show she uses the cabinet saw, jointer, planer, and biscuit plate joiner.
    Best Regards, Ken

I watched a couple of shows....she goes a little lite on the details..She seems to skip common pitfalls that would occur using the methods she follows. I still think David Marks is the best and after seeing his lecture and the broader spectrum of his work...I think he is really at a different level....and it comes through in his shows...he uses a practicle approach without compromises
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    I agree with you about David Marks being at a totally different level. His work and Norms are also quite different. They are both educational in content, although David pushes the design envelope much more than anything Norm has shown.

Mark, I couldn't agree more with your assessment. On a scale of 0-10, I would give David an 11. Norm would get a 6 or 7. Amy I would give a 5 until I see additional shows. I just have a feeling that there is more talent there than comes through in a quick 30 minute show with 6 to 8 minutes of commericals. Then there is Bruce Johnson that is still trying to find the score card.
    Best Regards, Ken

I think Amy has a place...

I agree with the above sentiments. Norm does projects I could probably do. David Marks does projects I wish I could do. So far, Amy does projects I'd have to think about. Of the few shows I've seen, the CD rack was nice, the round tables were OK but not to my taste. FFF is a work in progress.

I have seen the program a couple of times but dont remember what I was watching. I think i was more focused on her figure than the figure of the work she was doing. Also, my eyes glaze over when I see massive use of biscuit joiners and dowel pins. I am a mortise and tenon kind of guy. DIY seems to focus most of its work on the quick, simple and dirty. David Marks seems to focus more on the semi advanced.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ken,

Interesting; I'll have to get a link to the bio for my daughter. We happened to catch part of one of the 'Entry Table' shows last week; Jenn (my daughter) kept asking if we thought that was 'who she really was', i.e. did we think it was all fake and someone did all the work for her. Jenn's at that age (freshman in high school) and in that 'group' in sports and social activities where pretty girls just don't do dirty work... it's ok for them to get all worked up in sports, just not doing something that constitutes manual labor Trust me, we've gone 'round and 'round on this one... it'll be interesting to see her reaction to the bio listing for Amy...

Monte

I like the show because it encourages thinking outside the box. At least for me. Also she's not bad looking. I have to say that I think the hall table project would break in 2 days in my house. No splines on those miters and nothing to keep it from racking.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I think all the shows are great and responsible for much of the interest in woodworking. It is true that David Marks offers challenging projects....I think that is a good thing. After a while all projects can be thought of as a series of familiar processes....design, stock preperation, sizing, joinery, surface prep, shaping, sanding , finishing.... The advanced projects , if explained in simple terms , give even the beginining woodworker a bit of confidence that it is possible....just more of what he already has been doing and a few new things added to it...

My last physical exam revealed a little high blood pressure my doctor prescribed a drug and instructed me to do my normal cardio at the gym, but he added, "Challenge Yourself"....work harder and push yourself...so I go to the gym and my trainer says..."A couple of times during the workout...Challenge yourself....bring your heart rate up"

I am always amazed at the work I see here on SMC....people doing incredible things....first chairs that are beautiful and comfortable....wonderful bowls, vessels,.....casework and tables of very high quality and....yes advanced projects....I think the interplay of seeing other members work inspires woodworkers at every level to challenge themselves. and yes....I like to see creative design....even more than the kind of saw used to make it

For many years I was selected to do senior year critiques for students in the masters program at several of the architectural schools I always tried to be supportive and really looked for those that.....yes , took that big step and challenged themselves....

Design is a great first place to start the challenge and it will make a big difference in the finished product
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 10-30-2005 at 8:05 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I'm with Mark!

Even though I have only seen two of the "free form" shows I learned something on both of them. I especially liked the leather tray in the last show.

I really learn stuff when I watch David Marks!

Norm is great but I just don't like the stuff he makes so it gets boring watching the techniques.

Jay

I've watched one show (the hall table) and I'll have to catch more. I like the fact that she does something out of the ordinary, but not too difficult to accomplish for most woodworkers. The idea of a hall table with a leather tray for keys and other "coming and going" items is great. Would I use dowel construction? Maybe not. Would I laminate two boards for the bottom shelf? Maybe not. But the design was good and the product was useful -- I could see it in my house.

I enjoy David Marks but I rarely even consider trying to build one of his projects. I also enjoy Norm, but I don't have his range of tools and many of his projects are just too big. But the hall table -- I might try something like that.

I think any show that encourages interest in woodworking and shows good techniques used safely is worth having on the air.