Thread: getting rid of tools

getting rid of tools

I moved just under 2 years ago. I quickly unpacked maybe 10% of my tools, the ones I used the most but the rest are in rubber made totes in my basement. Also 3-4 totes of tools from my dad that I dont even know what is in there.

I know there will be lots of stuff I dont need or want. What is the best option to get rid of them. I dont think much will be worth enough to deal with hassle on craigs list. I can take them to the pawn shop, sell on ebay, or donate. In your experience is either of the first two options reasonable for lots of low value tools?

Are they easy and cheap to ship? Then ebay might work if you want to mess with it. Me, I just donate to woodworkers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you become a contributing member of SMC (which is a whole six bucks), you can post in the Free Classifieds here at SMC which is an audience of actual woodworkers. And you'll be helping with the expense of this excellent forum resource at the same time with your small contribution.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

If they arent worth enough to even sell on Craigslist they probably arent worth enough to sell online as the fees and shipping costs will likely eat up all the money.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

A toolstore chain in Canada has a program called tools for the world which collects tools and distributes them to those in need.
    Perhaps there is a similar program where you are.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-29-2017 at 9:32 AM.

Labor Day Garage Sale. If you advertise "TOOLS" they will come. I had a similar situation - I needed to unload a host of low value tools. We used to have a ReTool Store here and they would buy by the pound sorry to say they aren't here any more. Garage Sale went great. Everything was priced at $1, $2, or $5 and $10-$45 for power tools. You will need 4-6 helpers because some folks think that low price means FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    A toolstore chain in Canada has a program called tools for the world which collects tools and distributes them to those in need.

Perhaps there is a similar program where you are.

What a totally cool idea!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-29-2017 at 9:33 AM.

You might think about donating them to a local Boy Scout camp - they are always looking for tools to help with their Woodworking Merit Badge classes. You are close to the Northern Star Council - give them a call and ask for their suggestion. 763.231.7201

Woodwork.jpg

I think this is a great idea.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    You might think about donating them to a local Boy Scout camp - they are always looking for tools to help with their Woodworking Merit Badge classes. You are close to the Northern Star Council - give them a call and ask for their suggestion. 763.231.7201

Woodwork.jpg
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    Labor Day Garage Sale. If you advertise "TOOLS" they will come. I had a similar situation - I needed to unload a host of low value tools. We used to have a ReTool Store here and they would buy by the pound sorry to say they aren't here any more.
    Pretty much this.

Also, much better to have what you need and not have what you do not need.

Donate to scouts, schools, Boys club etc. You can take a tax donation for the value of the donation.
    Bill

Thanks for the help, yes I like the idea of donating for most of it. I will try that boy scout option.

Another worthy place to donate tools is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area.