Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Reassuring that y'all have the nuclear-biological-chemical dangers well worried about. I'll focus on my terror that somebody needs to legislatively restrain the unremitting, rampant, socially irresponsible, explosive growth in the the size of my Big Gulp! I - - simply - - - can't - - - - resist!

Lowell, I hope this finds you safe and dry.
    Not quite sure how to take this post, but.... these are all facets of the same story. No single post can touch everything, but it seems preferable that people pay attention at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Not quite sure how to take this post, but.... these are all facets of the same story. No single post can touch everything, but it seems preferable that people pay attention at all.
    I'm pretty sure he's making a joke about how big the Big Gulp (soft drink cup at 7-Eleven I think?) is. He's making light of it.

I believe the chemical that is being referred to is a peroxide plant. The cooling system is off and the chemicals start to explode as they heat up. They nothing too toxic is being given off, no worse than standing over a camp fire. Mild eye errant (least ways that is what the news is stating around here.

Where's Lowell? More than 1 week since he last checked in that I'm aware of.

My family and I moved from Dickinson last year and have gone down to help former neighbors, over the last 4-5 days. It is very devastating to see the damage that was done in the area. More than 50% of the town's residences and business were inundated with several feet of water. It is horrible to see people's entire lives on the front lawns, attempting to dry their stuff, or simply having to throw it out with all the carpet and Sheetrock.

I sure hope Lowell and his family are safe!

The water finally receded from my street yesterday. It had been about four feet deep. Twelve of sixteen houses were flooded. Mine was spared by three inches. Further back in the neighborhood is worse and water is still standing. Flood debris was everywhere, but has now been eclipsed by piles of flooring, drywall, sheetrock, and appliances.

Streets are muddy or dusty and crowded with vehicles. Groups from local Christian churches are everywhere doing demo, providing supplies, and serving thousands of meals. If you are inclined to donate, the local church is the way to go. They are the "boots on the ground".

Oddly, I've been so focused on my street that I don't really know the status of the rest of the area.

I see lowell's been active here! I hope he updates us on "I really don't expect much out of this". Hope he, his family, and homes are okay.

It's been over two weeks since Harvey hit and no word yet from Lowell! I hope that he and his family are safe and sound.

He may not have checked in on this thread but he was at least online here a few days ago.

It's been another 2 weeks since Lowell has been active here on SMC. Anybody know if he's okay?