Thread: Making a soffit for a corner cabinet???

Making a soffit for a corner cabinet???

Hello

Going to be putting in an upper corner cabinet next week in my basement, standard depth 12 inches by 30 inches in height with that good ole' 45 degree angle on the front.

I want the soffit to come out to 15 1/2 inches in depth on the straight part to accommodate for molding, but I'm wondering (without installing the corner cabinet first) if the best way is to make a template of the shape so that I can add on the 3 1/2 inches evenly in front of the angled part so that things look symmetric? Is there a trick to figure that out how to build the soffit with 2 by 4's for that corner cabinet, put on the drywall on, then install the upper cabinet with good results? Or again, is it just templating with cardboard off the shape of the cabinet and adding on for the molding?

Thank you!

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I pretty much always like to make a template for something like this because there may be some little nuances that are not evident from just measuring. I often start with cardboard and then make something out of relatively inexpensive MDF (1/2" or 1/4", depending on the phase of the moon and what I have available) to work out exactly what I need to do. In this case, if it's going to be painted, the MDF could actually "be" the soffit in the end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I pretty much always like to make a template for something like this because there may be some little nuances that are not evident from just measuring. I often start with cardboard and then make something out of relatively inexpensive MDF (1/2" or 1/4", depending on the phase of the moon and what I have available) to work out exactly what I need to do. In this case, if it's going to be painted, the MDF could actually "be" the soffit in the end.
    Thank you Jim, I very much appreciate your response and that's probably what I'll end up doing. Have a nice evening
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.