Thread: What To Do With "Distressed" Antique Furniture?

What To Do With "Distressed" Antique Furniture?

I have some old furniture, some pieces over 100 years old. But they are all in need of some work. A dresser has a drawer missing a bottom. The 100+ year old desk is missing two of the six drawers and some other parts for the locking features, but it's all wood and the craftsmanship is amazing.

Do I look for skilled woodworker to give them to or just throw them away?

If the piece as a whole is still sound, and was well built to begin with, it is worth getting them repaired. The hard part is finding someone that is willing to do it.
    To restore period pieces can be tedious. It can also get expensive depending on what needs to happen and if you desire to keep it period authentic.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I can't tell you what to do but we had a similar situation with some hand-me-down pieces a couple of years back: Fine workmanship and so on, but just did not fit into our lifestyle/space/etc. I tried Craigslist but ended up with all tire-kickers. Now, I just donate to Goodwill. Hopefully, someone with more time and energy for furniture resto than me will see it and do something with it. Best of luck with your decision.

Erik

Depending on what it is, value may be very minimal. Salvage the lumber perhaps if it is a not valuable piece.

Antiques have fallen hugely in terms of value when it comes to furniture. Used to be, you couldn't find it and sell it fast enough. Now, you cannot give some of it away.

I have a friend who runs an antique shop...she used to get 3-4 thousand out of a dining room set, now she charges good money to haul them away from estate sales when no one wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh Kinsella View Post
    I have some old furniture, some pieces over 100 years old. But they are all in need of some work. A dresser has a drawer missing a bottom. The 100+ year old desk is missing two of the six drawers and some other parts for the locking features, but it's all wood and the craftsmanship is amazing.

Do I look for skilled woodworker to give them to or just throw them away?

Also consider the amount of work to repair...

Drawers can be built but they will not be an exact match, greatly affecting the value of the piece. A drawer bottom on the other hand is an easy fix.

The 100+ year old desk is missing two of the six drawers and some other parts for the locking features, but it's all wood and the craftsmanship is amazing.
    Small desks are one of the few things that have held value here in Ohio.

Also, you might check with an antiques dealer to see what sells and what is worth money. Mid century modern stuff is really hot right now...Victorian furniture not so much.

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking there might be any number of woodworkers who might be interested in such a project so I didn't want to just junk the furniture. I guess it's off to the landfill!

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking there might be any number of woodworkers who might be interested in such a project so I didn't want to just junk the furniture. I guess it's off to the landfill!
    Why not offer these pieces for free on Craigslist?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

If nothing else, set it out by the street w "FREE" sign

Probably gone within couple hours.

I've done that w different stuff, always quickly gone. Marc