Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jointer push blocks

Thx for this post, I didn't know about the grrr-rip blocks. Currently I have oem push blocks with mending plates on them per Prashun.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-Push-Blocks

I use the bench dog push blocks and I love them. At $9.99 on amazon, can't really beat it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-Too.../dp/B005HH1B9K

Michael, do you happen to know how the grip pad on the bench dog compares to the Grr-rip push blocks?

I use shop made push blocks on the jointer. I just made a couple new ones as the one I had been using for 40 years was looking rough. Never tried a grr-rip but I know a lot of folks like them.
    These shop made ones work well with the Suva guard. The one without the hook you push through while the left hand puts a little pressure down on the outfeed side. This one I like for shorter work with the guard in the overhead position..
    IMG_3142.jpg

The one with a hook on the end I like better for long heavy timbers. The guard is in the side position when using this one.

IMG_3143.jpg

The little one attached to the Aigner block is good for short and narrow work with the guard in the overhead position.
    IMG_3144.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Michael, do you happen to know how the grip pad on the bench dog compares to the Grr-rip push blocks?
    Can't speak for Michael, but IMO the Grrr-rip blocks are much, well, grippier. The Bench Dog rubber grip seems much more susceptible to sawdust, and doesn't grip as well.

I also like the Grriper and Bench Dog but the best is a power feeder. I just started using one and can't tell you how it helps in jointing the face of boards. If you have a stack of boards to joint it is amazing.

BTW, I have a Hammer combination machine so the power feed can reach both the shaper and the jointer.

Dan

Don't have a jointer anymore, but when I did, always used push blocks. A coworker taught me to do that when he showed up one day with all four fingers on his left hand exactly the same length. He did not have to trim the nails on those fingers anymore. They were permanently trimmed.

Anyway, made a large push block out of white oak with a handle sticking up near one end and a knob on the front end for my left hand. Had a heel on the back.

Those grippers look good, but I wish some of these companies would quit saving on plastic and give the fingers a bit more clearance above spinning blades.

I haven't used a Grr-rip push block, but I can say that I've had these pads for a year now and they still haven't slipped on me. Very comfortable to use as well. I'm sure some other people have given these a try as well.

I have an Incra push block, very nice quality. Was not that happy with the pair that came with my Jet Jointer.

Blog Entries
    I have both. The Bench Dog version is on a par with others of that size. They do well with lighter stock and I sometimes prefer them at the router table for detail work. After some period of use mine began to slip on heavier material despite cleanings and other "renew" methods. I have seen folks cut a bit of the rubber off the tail end of them and epoxy a wooden "heel" onto them; nice tip. The Grr-Rip pads are a bit large so they can be awkward for smaller work. Like a lot of things, there is no one answer. They work well for me on large or heavy stock which is mostly what I am pushing across a jointer. The old adage of "the right tool for the job" can apply to push blocks, sticks and pads as well it seems.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the comprarison and description of the pads. Th Grr-rip pads might be on my birthday list.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...61#post2525661

I made these a year and a half ago and like them very much

I'm using a shop made version similar to what Lee and Joe are showing. Looking for something grippy for long material and just ordered the GRRR Rip Block. Thanks for the thread!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I really like the grr rip blocks we have. I use them more than anything else. When the bottom gets not so sticky clean with simple green and it comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I'm using a shop made version similar to what Lee and Joe are showing. Looking for something grippy for long material and just ordered the GRRR Rip Block. Thanks for the thread!
    Bill,

I recently made a push block and put some of this stuff on the bottom (item C) ...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...,43465&p=67844

Not as good as the stuff on the Grrr-ip Blocks, but it works pretty well. It'd be nice if we could buy the stuff on their blocks, to make custom sized ones, but I doubt that's gonna happen.