Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida 'Super Dust Deputy' vs 'Super Dust Deputy XL' for system with 6" duct

Benjimin,

The numbers for single stage DCs are usually for just a blower and nothing connected so as Larry said you will not get anywhere near 2300CFM with a 12" impeller. Nor could you get anywhere near 18.5" of static pressure without a 16"+ impeller. These numbers were so wild I checked BusyBee and their 12" 3HP is rated at 1900 CFM and ~9" of static pressure with 6" inlet. Again free air CFM. Regardless the XL would be a better match if you intend on a 6" inlet pipe as this blower would have enough CFM to operate it correctly (too many people try and pick an inlet size and under power the XL).

So I am not sure what DC you have with an 8" inlet, but a 12" impeller will be your limiting factor.

Hope this helps, let us know what you do.

Carl

Hey Mike, Nice to see this from a fellow bluenoser! I also have the SDD and had been running 4" pipe. Managed to get some free 6" PVC, and have considered upgrading but was worried about having to replace my SDD. I'm trying to reduce the amount of money spent. A few years on from this post, are you still running the same setup, and if so are you still happy with the results/performance?

Thanks!

My guess is either cyclone will work with your system but the taller XL will separate better. I've seen other reports of shorter cyclones not separating as well. I use the shorter one, however. I discharge outside. I don't see a lot of dust on the bushes the discharge goes into but that isn't a very scientific measurement.

I did, however, notice a very small amount of dust in the 5 inch pipe coming from my table saw when I modified it for overarm collection. I don't see it as a real issue but I was surprised it wasn't empty. I suspect there would be at least as much in a system with the Rikon impeller and 6 inch pipe.

A cyclone works by throwing the particulates to the wall where they slow down and drop out of the airstream, sliding down the wall while the rest of the air is sucked to the center and up. The velocity needed to throw the particles to the wall varies with the size and density of the particles with small and light ones being the most difficult to separate. A smaller cyclone will clean the air better but at the cost of more pressure drop. The smallest and most harmful particles will go thru a cyclone and must be captured in a HEPA filter. In your case the larger cyclone will probably work better because it will let your low powered fan move more air.

Side note, a Bindicator may be worth the cost but a hole in the top of the drum with a cork in it and a dipstick works fine.

My old 2hp cyclone had a 18" diameter, long cone cyclone. But it had a real blower, 14" impeller. When I replaced it with a 3hp cyclone, my suction increased significantly. Now I vent outside, and that made a huge difference. When I plane and joint lumber, there is not a grain of dust left around or on my machines, people look at my shop and don't believe I work with wood in there.