Thread: Cherry 3-foot

Cherry 3-foot

I've been working on footed pieces and decided to try this form. Many of you will recognize the inspiration. Finished with WOP. Feet were carved with the Arbortech mini.

Measurements are 11" x 7.5" x 0.25"

C and C welcomed and appreciated

IMG_4546 (2).jpg

[QUOTE=Eric Gourieux;2722792]I've been working on footed pieces... Feet were carved with the Arbortech mini.

That looks interesting. Do you have a photo of the bottom?

JKJ

Very interesting form Eric. Nice job keeping the bark intact and your finish highlights the difference shades between the heart & sap wood quite well.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2722799]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    I've been working on footed pieces... Feet were carved with the Arbortech mini.

That looks interesting. Do you have a photo of the bottom?

JKJ
    John, here is the bottom. It's difficult to get a good photo with all of the reflections.

IMG_4552.jpgIMG_4553.jpgIMG_4554.jpg

[QUOTE=Many of you will recognize the inspiration.[/QUOTE]

IMG_0530.JPG

Love the shape! Your execution on the feet gives me some ideas, too... thanks for the inspiration! Well done

[QUOTE=Eric Gourieux;2722834]
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    John, here is the bottom. It's difficult to get a good photo with all of the reflections.
    Thanks! I've made a few bowls with handles and feet and I know how much work it is.

Your photos are good. If you haven't used one, you might check into making a photo cube for more control of the light. I made this one for a few dollars from PVC pipe and fittings, a piece of mat board for the background. I sometimes use a diffuser on a highlight source for glossy wood if the reflections get out of hand. (and turn out all other lights in the room!) I set it up on my table saw. (Maybe that's why I don't do much flatwork!)

IMG_5182.jpg acrylic_ornament_green_bell.jpg

JKJ

Thanks, David. I love the look of NE cherry because of the heartwood/sapwood.

Thanks for the info, John. I have a big light tent but it was not set up when I took the pics. I've ordered new bulbs for the lights, but they haven't arrived yet. After talking with Chris Ramsey (who was the inspiration for this piece), he encouraged me to post. If you haven't seen his work, you should check out his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Thanks for the info, John. I have a big light tent but it was not set up when I took the pics. I've ordered new bulbs for the lights, but they haven't arrived yet. After talking with Chris Ramsey (who was the inspiration for this piece), he encouraged me to post. If you haven't seen his work, you should check out his website.
    Yes, Chris is an inspiration. He turned a couple of cowboy hats and a mirror ring frame at the Knoxville club one Saturday. I took a photo or ten.

Ramsey_IMG_4368.jpg Ramsen_-half_hat_IMG_4336.jpg Ramsey_IMG_4443.jpg

JKJ

Nice piece, interesting shape. Definitely a nice job keeping the bark on at 1/4" thickness and carving/shaping the feet. I have found out how much more effort is required for footed work as I'm working on one.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks, Bill. Carving is definitely time consuming, particularly as we are in the learning stages.

Lovely. Nice work on the natural edge, too.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary