Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet source slab lumber.

Internet source slab lumber.

Any recommendations for mail order large slabs?

I've bought a few items from the lumber shack, no complaints, just wondering what else others may have found.

Alternatively any suppliers within 2-3 hours of K.C. Would work.

Thanks. Neil

There are a lot of suppliers that will likely help you with that...Hearne is one example. Shipping is going to be a killer, however, so if this isn't for a commission where you can recoup that cost, someplace you can travel to might be a better bet if you can find it. The other downside to shipping is that you absolutely have to trust the dude or dudette on the other end who is helping you with selecting the slab via photos. It's hard to closely examine the material and since a slab is "the showpiece", you can't bury it in a project economically if it's got "features" that don't work out for the original purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd love to find local but have had zero luck. I'd like the material already dry. Anything local is usually fresh-cut and priced way above what I at least consider Fair

Lumber Shack currently has a sale, don't know if it's a big deal or not.

2 days only.

"Free shipping" supposedly "any US order"

Just sayin if anyone is interested. Marc

https://www.thelumbershack.com/2-Gor...722-30497.html
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 09-03-2017 at 1:28 AM.

I found a small lumber mill, Forest County Wood Products in Tionesta PA. They are on the edge of the Allegheny National Forest and harvest some good quality wood. Their prices are very fair and they do a good job drying the lumber. I have had them pull lumber and deliver without any complaints. I've gotten to where I call and explain what I am building and the bill of materials and they get just what I need to me. They are a bit on the casual/laid back side, so Mondays and hunting season are not good times to try calling them. I have absolutely no connections to this company, just a happy customer.

Wall lumber north carolina will ship freight
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Berkshire Products in Massachusetts has free shipping on slab orders over $500. Never done business with them, but might be worth a look.

OP - tell us where you live and maybe we can find one close enough.

May be stating the obvious here but do you know about woodfinder.com? I've used that as a place to start.

They are kind of like Macy's. there is always a sale. Prices are generally about the same after the sales

The Kansas city area

No I was not aware I will check it out thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Berkshire Products in Massachusetts has free shipping on slab orders over $500. Never done business with them, but might be worth a look.
    I've used these guys quite a bit. Excellent inventory and a web site that is accurate and user friendly. Several time each year they do free shipping on any slab order (maybe just for regular customers though). I usually send them a photo of the slab I want with lines and dimensions drawn on to the photo if I am asking them to cut for me. This can make S&H more reasonable as I don't always want an 8', or longer, slab.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    May be stating the obvious here but do you know about woodfinder.com? I've used that as a place to start.
    The problem with woodfinder is that they are absurdly inaccurate. I just ran a search, it found nothing but sources close to or over 100 miles away, missing 10 places that are much closer (and better IMO). It also includes one place on the list that has been closed for years. Their mileage estimates are also really, really bad. It estimates that one place is 66 miles away, when according to Mapquest, it's actually 93.8 miles. I think it suggests paid sponsors more than actual hardwood dealers.

There are a variety of national sellers of slabs (including me ); whomever you buy from the most critical aspect is to ensure that the slab is fully dry.

Unfortunately most of the smaller guys do not have the equipment necessary to measure MC% at the center of the slab. Pinless meters that will read 2" deep into a slab cost around $800.00, and are uncommon.

The Urban Lumber Company is in KC and has KD slabs.