Thread: Floating Cabinet Plan (Finehomebuilding)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Floating Cabinet Plan (Finehomebuilding)

Hey y'all! Looking to build some floating vanities, I have all of the tools needed. I am simply looking for some design guidance. I have never built cabinets before, but I am hyper attentive to detail, an artist, enjoy woodworking projects and have been constructing wooden models my whole life. I figure that, along with instruction/patience (and a quality track saw), I will be able to accomplish this.

I am a member over at finehomebuilding and came across this project:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2013...loating-vanity

The PDF says that i am not allowed to copy or distribute it. So I will explain a couple details that I am concerned about.

edit:
    these are the correct ingredients!

cherry-veneered moisture resistant MDF is used for the drawers and door panels (and side panels)
    Solid cherry drawers would be dovetailed for looks and strength.
    solid cherry rail and stiles
    maple 3/4" plywood for carcass

Because the cabinets were cantilevered from the wall, to be built to resist racking. Biscuits we used to connect butt jointed sides. Then pilot holes were drilled between the biscuits with a stepped bit. Then used 'beefy' confirmat screws.
    so:
    (biscuit) ^ (biscuit) ^ (biscuit) ^ (biscuit) ^

'^' = 2" confirmat screw

The author used heavy-duty brackets to fastest the floating vanity to the wall.

here is a picture of the finished product:
    floatingcabinet22.jpg

Here is how it is attached to the wall...
    attachingtowall.jpg

My main concern is stability of the plywood and biscuit joints. though, they are screwed together after the biscuits are glued up?
    I am also worried about the Veneer in a bathroom, however this is on top of moisture resistant MDF?
    Is that stuff really needed? Sounds a bit overkill....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by mike waters; 09-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.