Thread: I'd like your opinion on my plywood pouch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'd like your opinion on my plywood pouch

Reg ply pouch.jpg

One never likes criticism, but to grow and move forward, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and put your heart on your sleeve. I’ve learned a lot from this forum and have grown to respect the opinion of most of its posters. So I place myself in your hands.

About ten years ago, I created my plywood pouch. It was done out of necessity- I live in eastern Canada with a lot of snow in the winter and rain the rest of the year. I was doing a fair bit of cabinet work (besides a full-time job) and had a pickup truck with a six foot bed. I couldn’t find anything to protect a sheet of plywood when I went to the lumber yard, so I created the Kerry-All plywood pouch (pic attached).

I got a lot of great comments on it, so I decided to make them for sale. I tracked down a plastic supplier for the woven polyethylene I needed and found a local upholstery shop to make them. Of course this added quite a cost to the pouch, but I didn’t have the talent or the machine to sew them myself.

I started a website, advertised a little here and there (very expensive), plus the free sites. Sales were okay, but never great. I thought anyone with a pickup truck who buys plywood would love to have one. But no.

Circumstances changed a bit, I needed to become independent. I bought an old industrial sewing machine and taught myself how to sew. Soon, I was able to drop the price about $30. Sales remained the same.

So, I am here asking you folks if I am doing something wrong. Maybe it’s not the ‘best thing since sliced bread’ I hoped it would be. I’m going to keep making them, just wondering what the world thinks. Any comments will be greatly appreciated, and I can handle tough words.

Cheers
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-04-2017 at 1:57 PM. Reason: removed link to for profit site owned by the OP
    Lloyd Kerry