Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flattening chisel backs with waterstones

Now I understand the push to get him to post videos.

To get a look at his nose!

Hey guys, I've been "woodworking" for 5 or so years and I'm still very much a novice at best. As busy as my life is, those 5 years have been spent reading more about woodworking than actually making anything. I'm not ashamed at all to say that. I'm happily surprised how this post has received so much attention. Bottom line is I want to make sure my edge tools are as efficiently tuned as they can be (within reason) to provide the best possible results. I don't get much time in the shop so I want to make sure the time I do have is spent not fooling around with dull tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I took issue with comment "mentally translate that to "the writer has no idea how to use waterstones"." I see no need to denigrate someone. Perhaps this statement wasn't necessary.
    You're right, I was out of line. That came more from frustration (because I felt that we'd already covered the need for technique when flattening on waterstones) than any hostile intent, but it wasn't helpful all the same. I've deleted that sentence.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 09-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A Google Bot?

Pat, are you suggesting Patrick actually may be a beta test of an AI program from a technology company?

There once was a way such charges were handled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

jtk
    I'm heavier than a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Patrick, you obviously know the ins and outs of sharpening. It would be nice to validate your sharpening expertise for us by showing some of the awesome projects you make with your super sharp and polished edges. Also, please learn how to not offend everyone with your approach to conveying your superior knowledge.
    I think I've been very blunt and honest from day 1 that I'm a far better engineer and (as you point out) tool maintainer than I am a woodworker. I pick and choose topics accordingly.