Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ft. Bragg CA

Hi Ken,

The bench and Japanese tool box look great!

Concerning smoke, the local TV weather guy showed the weather map of the entire US, and showed the Jet Stream coming down from the Canadian coast near Washington, and curving down over the Texas panhandle. He showed the track of the smoke on the weather map, and up in Kansas and parts of Oklahoma going north, there is a lot of smoke. The heavy smoke extends clear up into Canada This even though Kansas is a long way from the fires, as is the Texas panhandle but there is some smoke in the sky just as the weather guy said.

In fact, near sunset I went outside, and you could see what sure looked like it was smoke in the western sky.

If those dove tails end up in the fire, the fire will be fed with some very classy looking fire wood.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-06-2017 at 1:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Geib View Post
    Nice Bench. good luck with the fires there.

the Columbia Gorge is closed, and here in Portland I woke up to 1/8" of ash on the car.

barely made it to the pub this afternoon.
    Wow, I had no idea it was that bad. I lived in Vancouver WA for a summer a long time ago and always loved heading up into the gorge.

Blog Entries
    the Columbia Gorge is closed, and here in Portland I woke up to 1/8" of ash on the car.
    I hadn't watched any local news for the last few days so I had no idea how close the fires are. I noticed some ash today outside but didn't know what was going on until we got in to town today.

It appears some idiot decided to toss some fire crackers in to some dry trees.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great bench-at-the-campsite photo Ken. I am planning on heading to Arizona/Utah in a week-10 days and am looking forward to it.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    That is one sweet ride Ken, kind of like a Hilton on wheels! How does it do for gas mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Great bench-at-the-campsite photo Ken. I am planning on heading to Arizona/Utah in a week-10 days and am looking forward to it.
    David,

So face it is working well, I expect the end results will be firewood but that's to be expected.

Good luck on your trip,

ken

Nice looking bench,I have been giving some thought to building a portable bench myself and I might steal a few of your parts of the design if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    That is one sweet ride Ken, kind of like a Hilton on wheels! How does it do for gas mileage?
    Pat,

Flat land and 60 mph close to 10 mpg, change anything it heads for 6 mpg.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Robinette View Post
    Nice looking bench,I have been giving some thought to building a portable bench myself and I might steal a few of your parts of the design if you don't mind.
    Matt,

I wish I could take credit for the design, but it is not to be. Google Will Myers, he has a video on building the bench that I followed closely.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

The bench and Japanese tool box look great!

Concerning smoke, the local TV weather guy showed the weather map of the entire US, and showed the Jet Stream coming down from the Canadian coast near Washington, and curving down over the Texas panhandle. He showed the track of the smoke on the weather map, and up in Kansas and parts of Oklahoma going north, there is a lot of smoke. The heavy smoke extends clear up into Canada This even though Kansas is a long way from the fires, as is the Texas panhandle but there is some smoke in the sky just as the weather guy said.

In fact, near sunset I went outside, and you could see what sure looked like it was smoke in the western sky.

If those dove tails end up in the fire, the fire will be fed with some very classy looking fire wood.

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

Thanks.

MsBubba and I were talking about passing on Oregon this year and just staying here in the Ft. Bragg area. WX is good with little smoke and plenty to do. I expect that will be the plan.

I did finish up the four sides of a small box yesterday. I doubt I will make a bottom and a lid because the box is kinda clunky with too thick sides but the 'tails were good and the bench worked without a hitch.

ken

I found a wood store in Ft. Bragg, there is not a great selection but who cares finding something other than construction grade DF in the wild is a the wood working gods are smiling on me event. I also picked up a ¾ bit to add a couple of dog holes to the bench. I'm still amazed at how good the bench works, a break down, as light as it is bench shouldn't work as well as it does.

Damn it's enjoyable working outside under the pop up shelter on the cool NorCal coast. With whiskey in hand, Sam the Wonder Dog and Sweet Maggie Dog at my feet and MsBubba running around hikeing and biking....life is good.

ken

Blog Entries
    Damn it's enjoyable working outside under the pop up shelter on the cool NorCal coast. With whiskey in hand, Sam the Wonder Dog and Sweet Maggie Dog at my feet and MsBubba running around hikeing and biking....life is good.
    Are you attracting any curious onlookers?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken:

Wonderful! I am sooo envious!

Practical matters:

1. If you stay the night at a public campground or trailer park, do you leave the workbench assembled and unattended overnight while you, SWMBO, and the noble critters dream of sugarplum fairies?

2. If the workbench stays outside at night, do the tools go inside the mansion?

3. Do the noble critters stand guard duty over workbench and tools?

4. Is dust raised by passing vehicles, and ash from nearby fires, impacting on your woodworking enjoyment and the quality of the finished product? (the ash can carry a long way in my experience)

5. What brand of Scottish sharpening stone lubricant works best for you, and how old is it?
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 09-08-2017 at 7:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Are you attracting any curious onlookers?

jtk
    Jim,

A few drop by

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Ken:

Wonderful! I am sooo envious!

Practical matters:

1. If you stay the night at a public campground or trailer park, do you leave the workbench assembled and unattended overnight while you, SWMBO, and the noble critters dream of sugarplum fairies?

2. If the workbench stays outside at night, do the tools go inside the mansion?

3. Do the noble critters stand guard duty over workbench and tools?

4. Is dust raised by passing vehicles, and ash from nearby fires, impacting on your woodworking enjoyment and the quality of the finished product? (the ash can carry a long way in my experience)

5. What brand of Scottish sharpening stone lubricant works best for you, and how old is it?
    Stan,

It is pretty nice.

I put the tools up and cover the bench with a tarp. I've not been one to worry too much about "things", life is too short to spend the time.

We are far enough South to miss most of the smoke and plans are to stay here.

Daily is Macallan 12 but mood can change to the Isla ones as well. They are all good, just some are better.

ken