I purchased a gallon of Danish Oil [General Finishes] from a fellow woodturner back in March, and he buys in bulk sizes.[5 gallon] He sold me the gallon and he had put it into a plastic orange juice jug he had on hand. Well, I had it sitting on my large 18" Jet bandsaw at the edge of the table, and my 16 gallon industrial shop vac was sitting on the floor beside my bandsaw.

Overnight, the jug developed a crack near the bottom, and the oil leaked out all over my saw, my shopvac, and ruined a Bionic faceshield. At least the shopvac still runs, and I used some mineral spirits to clean off the motor and switches, and blew them out well with compressed air. I still am going to have to clean the bottom door and frame of the saw, and get a new Bionic shield.....bummer!

I guess there must be a reason why the companies put Danish oil into metal cans when they are going to be on the shelves in stores for some months, huh? That stuff is about $50 per gallon, and I saved only less than a pint! Not to mention all the mess on my wooden shop floor, which is now nice and slick!

Just trying to be helpful to others who may have some in plastic containers.........must be a bit corrosive to plastic, I think. Not the way to start one's morning, for sure, but glad I found it before it had totally ran out, and hardened all over the shop vac!