Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to move my stationary power tools cross country?

Is it worth it to move my stationary power tools cross country?

Contractor table saw, 6" jointer, some dust collection, floor stand drill press, 14" bandsaw?

Hate to go through the Craigslist thing, get peanuts compared to what it will cost to replace on the other end.

If you have or rent a trailer and move them yourself, it is definitely worth it. If you pay movers (probably by the pound), it may be worth it if you would buy the same tools after the move.

Blog Entries
    Depending upon the cost to move them, it may prove costly to sell plus if they are older tools, the quality of potential replacements my not be as good.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It also depends where you go. Different parts of the country have a very different supply and cost of similar machines. At least I get that from seeing prices for used machines discussed here.
    Bill

Broken down, everything listed will fit into the smallest enclosed trailer that U-Haul has. So hitch it up and go.

It depends (as others have said)..... I am facing the same issue in the very near future. Thus far I am getting rid of anything that does not have significant value. If you have very nice equipment which is paid for, works well, and would be difficult to replace in your new location moving it would likely be a good choice. Make a quick list of pros vs cons and the answer should be pretty clear, at least it has been for me.

Robert

A move is a good opportunity to refactor your tool lineup.
    I'd consider:
    • any changes to your woodworking planned after the move? (bigger/smaller shop? do you expect to have shop time? will you be needing to do WW for the new house?)
    • any tools you are particularly fond of, or looking to replace/upgrade?
    • what is used tool market like in the new location (check craigslist to see what the scene looks like. In my area, a 6" jointer and contractor table saw are pretty commonly listed)

Matt

Call me lazy - but none of that is hard to replace or cost a mint. I wouldn't be moving it if it caused even a minor headache.
    Last edited by Jake Hillestad; 09-15-2017 at 9:21 AM.

Household movers will quote it just as though it were other household goods (ie - cost is based on weight). They'll tell you the cost per pound. Depending on where you're going, you might expect to pay $0.50/lb, so it would cost maybe $250 to move that stuff. You'd probably lose more trying to sell and re-buy, plus that hassle. That said, I'd use this as a chance to say, "Have I always wanted an excuse to replace..."?

Frankly, the hassle of selling, and it would have to be via Craigslist, would be more trouble than it's worth. The time spent, the agony of letting strangers into the home, their inability to cleanly get the tools out without damaging stairs and walls, etc.

Think I'll just let the movers do it.

What you have will take little room and not weigh all that much to move. So your decision has to weigh {SIC} the "hassle" of moving vs selling with additional consideration about whether or not you'd like to reinvent your shop at your new home or keep things the same as they are now. Many folks make a move an opportunity to upgrade their capabilities since it's a logical point in time to shed older and/or less capable equipment if funding is available to do that deed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hows this. List the tools on Craigslist at a fair price to you and the buyer. ie. If you saw it at that price you would call about it. You might be surprised and unload a lot of it at fair market value. Now you have don't have to worry about moving it and you have the cash to pick up similar gear at the new location or, you can add a little and upgrade to something better. That's what I would do.

I moved all of my tools. Glad I did.

Remember, if you repurchase the same sort of machinery, you would still end up needing to "move" your machinery.

15. I've done it twice and it was WELL worth it. All my tools we're purchased at deep discounts and searching for, buying and picking them up then lugging them into a new shop wasn't worth the pennies.